1. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

That moment when your life flashes before your eyes...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by JJ_Maxx, Aug 12, 2013.

[​IMG]

Yeah, that didn't happen. The only thought I had as my car was flipping over was, 'I need to relax my body.' because I once read that people who tense up suffer more injuries. Not sure if it worked but I walked away with cuts and bruises and some stitches on my head.

I was driving home from work and an SUV blew a stop sign. The guy then jumped out of his vehicle and fled the scene, leaving me to crawl out my car and call 911. He showed up seven hours later on the side of the road with no socks or shoes and claimed he couldn't remember anything. He had pot in his car.

Luckily, he had insurance and I've been told he was given a book of tickets. The gash in my head made me look pretty bloodied but it was just peices of glass lodged in my forehead.

Can't believe I walked away though, it could have been a lot worse. :(

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Yowsers - but on a good note someone obviously prays for you. :)

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Was this now, recent? You mentioned the gash on your forehead in the past tense, so... I'm glad you walked away from that, man. I was in a near head-on in a Jeep Wrangler I owned long ago and remember the little fragments of glass migrating up and out of the skin on forehead for the better part of a year later. :(

4. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Yikes! Glad you are okay, JJ.

5. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Yeah it happened yesterday at 12:04 AM.

When I finally got home at around 3:30 AM, I shook out my clothes and I could hear the glass falling on the hardwood floor.

6. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

[MENTION=44992]JJ_Maxx[/MENTION]

First of all, best of wishes for your recovery. I am not sure how grave your injuries are but, it does sound like you need some time to recover from your physical injuries and the mental shock. You strike me as a though sort of person though, so I am sure you'll be back on your things ten times faster than I would in a similar situation.

I find it quite remarkable that you managed a thought at all. My mind almost always goes completely blank in the few, minor (or very minor, compared to this), accidents that I've been in. The only thing that seems true about the 'Life flashes before your eyes..." thing is that things do seem to happen a tad slower. I believe they once tested it. A man got a wristwatch with 4 seven digit displays on it. The lights displayed a number, but it couldn't be read because the LED's flashed too rapidly. During the expiriment the man jumped from a tower and looked at his wristwatch, trying to read the number. It worked. I can't recall exactly what the explanation was but the fact remains that people can see, for a short amount of time, more in extreme, adrenaline-inducing events.

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

[MENTION=51076]Macaberz[/MENTION] - I would say time did slow down. It was very disorienting spinning and flipping. I thought about relaxing, then I thought about hitting a tree. I braced for the impact but luckily I had slowed down enough the the car only stopped at a dead tree.

Then I did the correct thing, I shut the engine off and tried to get out of the car. (I was worried because I had just topped the gas tank, which meant there was a full tank of gasoline under a smoking car.) Then I called 911 and flagged down my buddy who was also behind me.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Oh, wow, dude I really hope you are alright! That must have been terrifying.

9. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

It's good that you're OK, JJ. It could have been a lot worse. I'm also glad to know they caught the guy. Fleeing the scene like that was such a cowardly thing to do.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Good grief. I'm glad you're all right! Hope you recover quickly from the mental shock/trauma. Seems like you were blessed by God to have walked away - the state of your car looks terrifying.

11. sanco

sanco New Member

Fuck, man. Lucky you're alright. I crashed my car last year. Thankfully I wasn't hurt and no-one else was involved (it was rainy and I ended up spinning into the railings on the side of the road), but I remember as the tyres gave way, the only thought I had was "there's nothing I can do".

12. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Whoa, good thing you are in one piece! I wish you a speedy recovery!

13. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Glad you're okay, especially considering how things could've ended up. I recommend you wash your clothes a few times 'cause when I was in a crash (which wasn't even as bad as yours), I had tiny shards of glass everywhere, even inside my socks / underwear. :D

14. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

This ^

I got nothing better.

What is that weird thing in front of the front window?

15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Geez. I just saw this post, JJ. Glad you're okay. I'm so glad there wasn't anybody in your back seat. From the look of the car, that's what took most of the impact. Take care, and get back in the saddle as soon as you can.

And watch out for idiot drivers...they are everywhere, that's for sure. I passed one while I was on the bus the other day. She was smoking with one hand and texting somebody with the other. On the motorway. Using a mobile phone while driving is totally illegal here in Britain—but they still do it...

16. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

Hope you have a good recovery. It may be too soon but it might be therapeutic to write through it. I haven't been through anything physically violent like that but I imagine it probably evokes some intense feelings.

17. paulthompson

paulthompson New Member

Wow! Lucky escape buddy!