1. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Contributor Contributor

Do you make soundtracks for your stories?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BlitzGirl, Jul 10, 2018.

This is definitely something that I do in my free time. I will listen to music and realize that the lyrics of a song, or the tune or vibe of an instrumental piece, fit with one of my writing projects, so I compile everything I can find into a playlist on my iPod. They aren't necessarily songs that help me write, but I've always found it fun and sometimes inspirational.

My current story, a YA fantasy called "FireHeart", has a very short "soundtrack" that is a bit all over the place. I have three songs that are from anime (I did look up the English lyrics, and they really do fit, but the overall sound/use of instruments is what initially made me think of my story), and another three songs are from a video game soundtrack due to their sound/instruments. Currently, the track list is as follows:

1. "Shinjitsu no Uta", Do As Infinity, "InuYasha" (anime)
    2. "Meridian, Shining", Joris de Man, "Horizon: Zero Dawn" (video game)
    3. "Getsumei Fuuei", Mika Arisaka, "Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokki" (anime)
    4. "City on the Mesa", Joris de Man, "Horizon: Zero Dawn" (video game)
    5. "Yulunga (Spirit Dance)", Dead Can Dance, "Into the Labyrinth" (album)
    6. "To Call Our Own", Joris de Man, "Horizon: Zero Dawn" (video game)
    7. "Juuni Genmukyoku", Tomohiko Kira, "Twelve Kingdoms/Juuni Kokki" (anime)

So, for those of you who also do this type of thing, what kinds of songs/sounds do you look for? Do you actively search for music to add to a playlist related to your stories? Or does the music find you? Do you prefer songs with lyrics? Entirely instrumental? Both? Does the story itself dictate those details?

ThunderAngel likes this.
  2. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

I don't really have an actual playlist, but I know of some songs that do a good job of describing certain parts of my story. Some of the characters have their own theme songs, as well. (I made a thread for that, in the entertainment category)
    Yes, I typically listen to music with lyrics. However, I do know of some pretty good instrumental songs that make me think of the characters or things that happen in my story.

BlitzGirl likes this.
  3. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I do this as well except I usually make YT playlists.

Mostly I play scary thunderstorm tracks for the ambiance since I write Gothic Horror as my preferred genre.

Some Guy and BlitzGirl like this.
  4. Moon

Moon Contributor Contributor

Instrumental music usually gets played in the background while I type. Usually. None of it's what I wound consider to be a soundtrack to the novel, though. Just playing in the background for my pleasure.

There are some songs that remind me of certain moments or characters in my novel. Just....nothing with lyrics.

Shenanigator, Some Guy and BlitzGirl like this.
  5. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

I usually write to the quiet buzzing of an office full of worker bees diligently making money for our boss.

Some Guy and BlitzGirl like this.
  6. BlitzGirl

I actually work on my handwritten draft while at work, which is also an office. I find that my mind can better focus on writing my first draft while in this setting, whereas I can only work on my typed draft at home on weekends, when I have the means and time to focus on that. If I listen to music at all while writing at work, I find that the Horizon: Zero Dawn and Final Fantasy X soundtracks are really helpful, relaxing, and not too distracting.

7. Zerotonin

Zerotonin Serotonin machine broke

My ADHD goes haywire when I'm at home and I couldn't write there if I wanted to. Too many distractions. In-between appointments I tend to have a hefty amount of free time to play with, so that's when I usually write. I will edit at home, though.

Everyone in my department has their little side projects that they work on in their free time. Hell, the department manager, my boss, is writing a screenplay (it's horrible but I don't have the heart to tell him).

BlitzGirl likes this.
  8. BlitzGirl

I feel ya! I don't have ADHD, but I do get faaaar more easily distracted while at home. Video games, TVs, movies...so many things I could do as well as writing! While at work, I am more limited in what I can do, but my work is quiet/slow enough that I do have free time while I wait for things I need to come in. If I'm not writing, I'm watching videos on YouTube, reading, or listening to music.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Mine is severe ADHD, so I surround myself in a bubble of New Age, non-lyrical, electronica, BlackHawk Down, chant, Celtic voice that sounds more like an instrument. Dead Can Dance is just mind candy, yeah... search up Golden Needle (don't exactly remember real name) for something to float around in the univeres to...

BlitzGirl likes this.