1. Manutebecker

Manutebecker New Member

What book will give me the best mind set for the type of novel I'm writing???

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Manutebecker, Mar 29, 2009.

I'm writing a book that most reminds me of American Beauty mixed with Ordinary People, can someone point me towards other stories/authors that are similar to this. Please and thanks :)

2. Dude_guy_yeah!

Dude_guy_yeah! New Member

Look, you're writing fiction. You don't need to go around trying to find books that are similar to the one you have in mind, because you'll end up copying things, and that's something you really should be trying your best to avoid. Do justice to your story. Do justice to your characters. Do justice to yourself, for christ's sake. Just make things up!

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I don't know how to explain this well, but rather than trying to find books that are similar to what you are trying to write, I would try to find music that puts you in a similar mood as American Beauty/Ordinary People does. I've found that listening to music that takes you to a place similar to the one you are trying to create on paper/computer makes it easier to write about.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I can see the benefit of studying other books in the same genre. You can see, for instance, how other writers deal with writing challenges similar to the ones you will face, such as how to handle a battle scene.

However, instead of narrowing your view to books with a similar storyline,I would broaden the reading to include a greater range of authors and styles. Furthermore, focusing too closely on similar stories can increase the likelihood of unintended plagiarism, as certain phrases and scenes become imprinted in your thoughts.

5. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I disagree with most of you that she shouldn't try to read other stories with a theme like hers. I had made a similar thread and as I see it, it would probably be a lot easier trying to write whatever book you are writing if you have seen other works like it. It doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to try and be like it. I haven't read anything similar to that though, if you're dissapointed by my post. I just had to clarify that.

6. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Personally, I'd have to agree with the other people in the post--don't worry so much about reading books with similar story-lines. You don't need their ideas to get yours going. In the end, it's about what *you* want to read (write what you want to read) rather than trying to draw inspiration from a book that is essentially what you're trying to write.

I.e. I'm working on a vampire novel right now with what I consider an original portrayal of vampires but I'm not going to go looking to see if it's already been done because that defeats the point of writing it. Write for yourself first, an audience second. (Or, write the first draft of a book for yourself, the 2nd to the standards of a publisher). I will always stand by the idea that you should write what you want to read rather than trying to copy something someone else has done. If you're going to do that, write fanfiction and stay away from original fiction :p

That's just my two cents' worth today.

~Lynn

7. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I find that reading as much as possible, and everything you can, is the best approach.

I read books inside, and outside, the genre in which I'm working. All books can help. Try for a variety of authors, don't stick with just one. You'll learn different styles and techniques, get examples of various metaphors and descriptions and approaches. Mixing in audio books increases the amount you can squeeze into your life.

I'll read a suspense novel one week, a biography or history book another week, a hard-boiled crime novel, an old classic, books on writing itself, etc. I find reading a vast variety of works helps me. (The non-fiction I work in generally relates to my topic, however. I consider that research of factual information, it helps little with style when writing fiction to read non-fiction.)

I don't find any reading "puts me in the mood" as you're describing, like music. The only thing that puts me in the mood for writing is writing itself.

8. Roxie

Roxie Active Member

Like Cognito I recognized the benefit of researching other books in the same genre to see how other writers have dealt with challenges, emotions etc. BUT I also agree with the others that you have to make it your own. Write for you. Because what worked for such an such author may not work for you. You is the keyword here. Good luck!