1. Androxine Vortex

Androxine Vortex Member

Just a Quick Question About the Writers Here

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Androxine Vortex, Oct 18, 2011.

Hello i'm new here so i hope this is ok to place this thread here but I was wondering what is the typical age that the authors here shoot for their audience? I know for my stories they are usually pretty violent and have a lot to do with dark magical practices and stuff like that so i suppose I shoot for like Young Adult and over (or maybe even a bit younger) What I'm getting at is that my style of writing is usually more mature than what others might write so I wanted to know if it's tolerated here.

I'm not going to post anything erotic or anything but by mature I meant by mainly violence. So is this going to be alright? I'm having a hard time wording my question correctly so bear with me lol

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I write for adults. I don't dumb down my stuff for younger readers, but when I was a kid, I read adult fiction a lot. I assume that other kids do the same. So when I say I write for adults, I mean I write for everyone, and I hope younger people can get into my stuff too.

3. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Kids are smarter than you think, they don't really need anything to be "dumbed down."

4. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

The question did come off a tad strange - I thought you were asking about literary levels at first.

Ignore
    I aim to write for those that are literate on a college level and are able to read violent/sexual material without throwing a hissyfit. I am not one to go into vast graphic detail of gore or lascivious descriptions, its not the focus of my work.

As for here, superultraviolence does not even phase us. Go for it.

5. Androxine Vortex

Androxine Vortex Member

Alright. Please don't just assume that the only appeal to my stories is a Gorgy (gorefest + orgy lol) My settings are usually grim, dark, and brooding. Amping up the Violence usually adds more to the suspence and the importance of the protagonists' objectives and even greater are the consequences if they fail to achieve them. I have a lot of battles and fights in my stories and sometimes they can get a little grotesque but the graphic violence is not the main appeal. I don't want someone to read my works just because they are violent, you know?

6. Goldstein

Goldstein New Member

I suppose...well...like, high schoolers and up. I guess? I include a few curse words and some violence, nothing too graphic. And there are some sexual references, but nothing too overt.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i write philosophical essays and 'philosetry' for adults, as well as children's picture books... nothing for the age ranges in between...

8. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I never assumed that,
    and yes.

9. CULLEN DORN

CULLEN DORN New Member

Write ... write ... write ... till the ink runs dry. Then write again. ;)