Tags:
  1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Big News: HD Format War

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lordofhats, Feb 24, 2008.

Big news for us nerds people. The HD format war has effectively come to an end with Toshiba conceding victory to Sony. HD DVD, the format built by Toshiba for HD video, has lost the most recent Format war to rival Sony's Blu-ray technology. With Toshiba backing out, Sony has effectively won.

Reasons for Blu-rays victory have been cited but the primary cause has been the descion of major movie distributors to support Blu-ray over HD-DVD. Sony has also been said to have been much more active in promoting the Blu-ray format to consumers than Toshiba. Recently Warner Brothers, the only hold out company that was using HD-DVD (alongside Blu-Ray) annouced they will cease releasing in HD-DVD. Netflix has also stated they will no long offer HD-DVD's. The finish however, came when Wal-mart announced it will stop selling HD-DVD players and will only be offering Blu-Ray.

Likewise, Microsoft has announced it will cease production of the XBox 360 HD-DVD Player accessory.

2. Raven

Raven Banned

And this is were the people like me get annouyed. First we have to replace our collections fromvhs to dvd and now its blu ray a few years later. So whats next in three years time. black-ray. its a stupid money grabbing venture. Well it will be a long time before I purchase a blu-ray player.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Guess you'll have your Betamax tapes to fall back to, eh? :)

4. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Hmmm that's interesting. The last I heard didn't Warner Bros say that they wouldn't produce their movies in Blu-ray? Just HD? Or do I have it backwards?

5. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Raven, DVDs are still compatible with Blu-Ray players so there's no need to worry ... yet.

6. Kit

True, you only need to worry when they stop producing "normal" DVDs...

If I was going to buy a blu-ray player i'd probably get a PS3 - its cheaper. Lol.

7. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Hmmm, this whole "format war" has been quite interesting. Micheal Bay wouldn't direct Transformers 2 because they released Transformers on HD instead of Blu Ray. Honestly, I'm a tad anoyed about this whole "Super quality" crap. Is Blu Ray all that much better? I've never seen it honestly myself, but if they switch to only Blu Ray I think Kit's idea is good. Cheaper than an actual Blu Ray player and it plays video games! :cool:

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I don't think Hi-def is that much of a jump honestly. I've seen it and I don't see what the big deal is about. Standard is good enough for me and its cheaper. Its like the jump from sixth generation game systems to seventh. The increase int he quality of the graphics really wasn't that big. The early 360 games looked equally good as some of the better looking Xbox games. Its just not that much of a differense really.

The format war remains important though as it will decide the course of application of technology. Right now we're gonnat get another format generation dominated by Sony. Yippy.

9. Raven

Raven Banned

Yes I know that. Im just annouyed because at some point blu-ray will become obsolete and thus a new one will emerge. As for blu-ray players at some point we'll all have to switch to them and I really can't fugure how you can perfect perfection. The DVDs were superior how can you get a better picture than crystal clear and same with sound.

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

I know, its so annoying how when you buy something, it becomes obsolete in a matter of months.

11. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

It annoys you that technology is progressive?

I just keep what I already have, wait for all of the product wars to end, and determine if I should purchase anything when the prices lower. There's no reason you need to buy the latest item--Apple doesn't need any more money. Eventually, you will need to embrace something as manufactures will later discard certain formats, but it's never at a rate that you're practically dependent on discovering what the next trend will be.

12. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Sony knew they were going to win here, which is why they packed the PS3 with a Blu-Ray player. Now it's simply a matter of laughing in the faces of those stupid, stupid critical people who said the console was going to fail.

Stupid people.

13. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Good think I'm one of the smarter Microsoft Fans. Although... I wouldn't exactly say the PS3 has succeeded. She's trailing by a mile and still needs a true killer app. 360 has Halo, Wii has Mario. $10 on MSG4 (or FF XIII) :cool:.

Of course that's beside the point. The PS3 has a logn way to go before anyone can declare it a success. We will ahve to wait to see just how much of an impact the failure of HD-DVD will have on it sales. We'll probably start seeing visible effects in a year or so.

14. adamant

Sony did not know it was going to win. The company simply invested in the product they created. Nothing more.

It is quite likely that the PS3 will gain more sales due to the Blu-Ray player function. However, I've heard reports that Microsoft may be planning to include an add-on for Blu-Ray like they did with HD DVD--though I'm not sure how that will all work.

As I don't care to purchase movies in general, this all means very little to me.

15. Kit

If microsoft manage that for the 360 then it might make quite a difference to things... but i'm expecting to see quite an increase in PS3 sales as blu-ray becomes more popular. Why spend £350 on a blu-ray player when you can spend £300 and kill a few more birds with one stone - the latest gaming console, a blu-ray player and its backward compatible with the old games?

16. Montag

Montag New Member

Damn, I was considering getting a blu-ray burner installed in my new laptop, but I was unsure of who would win the war. I ordered it with a plain DVD burner, and two days later, BD wins.

I'ts not a money grabbing scheme either, it's new technology.

When CD's started replacing cassete tapes, the reason was they were easier to use and carried more data. Blu-ray discs can hold between 25-50 GB of data, compared to 4.7-8.5 GB for DVD.

People will probably claim that a 50 GB disc is unnessecary, and nobody will use that much. Guess what, they said the same thing about DVD's, and CD's (700 Mb) for that matter, when floppy discs(1.44 Mb) were the main removable computer media.

I have thousands of songs and photographs on my computer, and an external hard drive. Imagine being able to back it all up on a cheap disc, instead of a $200 hard drive full of moving parts, prone to overheating, and requiring cords to use.

17. adamant

18. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

it happens too often i can still remember when my father packed away his records and slotted in a cassette, then came the CD, then the DVD, now blue-ray, if you look at it all these products require different appliances. thus my father has decided to stick to records:)

19. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Haha, vinyl sounds good anyway. I have a lot of albums on vinyl that sound better than their digital counterparts...