1. Chxrlxx

Chxrlxx New Member

How to reunite two characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Chxrlxx, Nov 22, 2021.

Say there are two characters, character A and character B. They are dating but were separated by force. Character A was told that character B died, but she didn't. Character A was very mad about it and was going to separate himself from everything he knows because of it. I want to make character A and character B meet again dramatically, but I don't know how I should do it.

2. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

Either by chance, or because somebody who knows both of them realizes the issue and brings them together.

Or B gets told that A thinks she is dead, so she actively searches for B and finally finds him. He's of course shocked and needs a moment.

3. Opalized

Opalized Member

1: They meet while wearing disguises and they both think the other is a completely different person. Maybe they fight or something and Character A somehow loses his disguise. The battle stops abruptly as Character B removes her own disguise and they stare at each other in shock.

2: Character B finds herself in a situation where she is looked after and given a place to stay by an important group of people, like a powerful secret society. Character A is found by the group and mistaken as an enemy, but Character B jumps in before the group can do anything to him.

3: They meet at a special event or celebration, or, alternatively, after a huge disaster. Perhaps both rolled into one could be interesting? They attend a festival and almost run into each other , but a sudden attack or natural disaster interrupts the celebration. The characters crawl out of the rubble and catch sight of each other through the settling dust.

4. Darkness Within

Darkness Within Banned

Currently Reading::
    1984 by George Orwell
    I see a lot of possibilities with this. What comes to my mind is that they meet by chance, completely coincidental. Somewhere public and either character catches sight of the other or they make eye contact.

Not sure though, just a thought...

5. Travalgar

Travalgar Active Member

Have character B seek character A out. Reunion by chance is cool, but reunion by effort—however one-sided it would be—felt more fulfilling!

6. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

Why would anyone be "mad" because their significant other died? This doesn't make any sense as a fundamental premise.

7. Chxrlxx

Chxrlxx New Member

He was mad because he thought someone he trusted killed her.

8. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Sounds odd. Why doesn't he kill the person who he thought killed her or call the police? Why just run away?

9. Chxrlxx

Chxrlxx New Member

Well, the person who he thought killed her was his boss, and they ran a school that kills children. So I don't think he would call the police. And he wouldn't kill him because the boss saved his life.

10. Chromewriter

Ok so there is 2 motivations at play here and you have to be truthful to both to make this a believable storyline.

1st motive: He is loyal to his boss.

2nd motive: He loved her.

Those 2 motivations leads to 2 logical conclusions:

1. If he loves her more than he is loyal to the boss, he most likely should leave the institution that kills children and does his own thing and he finds her by chance or she actively finds him. In which case he's already semi redeemed but he can become happy.

2. If he is loyal to his boss he will bury his feelings deep in his heart and becomes colder for it and he becomes even more grudgingly loyal to him. She is then later reintroduced as a fork in his road; he either chooses to go down the unfeeling dark path dedicated to his boss, or has a chance at redemption.

Because you say "going to separate" I think you are saying he's at the second path. So reintroduce her being alive in the most dramatic part possible and make him choose what he wants.

He can actively choose to betray her or his boss. But it will be his choice between the two opposite directions compared to when he believed she was killed by his boss where he didn't really have a positive choice just 2 shitty ones.

The hidden third option is that he was immediately made aware that she's alive and he's been secretly plotting to escape with her. You'd hide his awareness from the reader and then spring the "fuck you" trap and he escapes with the girl surprising both the boss and the reader.

The 4th hidden option is that this "fuck you" surprise is already known by the boss and he kills them both at the end and it becomes a tragedy.

Hope this gives you some inspiration.

Chxrlxx likes this.
  11. Chxrlxx

Chxrlxx New Member

THANK YOU!!! I LOVE the 4th option! I was already planning on not giving them a happy ending so thank you so much!

12. Chromewriter

All good. :)

13. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Very Shakespearean, only neither would remove their disguises. One would discover the other's true identity and pretend not to know, and the other at some point may or may not make the same discovery. Oh, and both would be in drag as the opposite sex of course. Hey, that's Shakespeare for ya!

Opalized and QueenOfPlants like this.