1. Rapaz

Rapaz New Member

In need of book recomendations for my father.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Rapaz, Apr 12, 2012.

Today I was talking with my father about reading and he told me he didn't know much about novels because he never read them.

I asked him why and he told me it was because he didn't know how to 'pick' and some other small reasons which don't really need to be mentioned right now.

I offered to search for a good book for him and here I am.

In addition to my own search I'd like you to recommend interesting, mature novels that you imagine a man past his fifties might enjoy reading. He reads alot, but it's mostly technical/scientific books.

I reckon he might enjoy something in the area of suspense, thriller, etc., but any recomendations are very welcome.

Thank you.

2. Velox

Velox Member

For the Thriller genre, some great authors include Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy, Brad Thor, Alex Berenson, Stephen Hunter, and others, whose novels are all very enjoyable.

You may also recommend crime novels, in which case I would recommend Michael Connelly (he also does legal thrillers which are also quite excellent). There's also Agatha Christie and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

3. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

My Father is not a lot of information as to what he my like. What kind of TV shows and movies does he watch.

4. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Fathers can be really difficult to choose books for. Really, it all depends on his likes and dislikes. My dad reads mostly scientific literature and even though I know him well, I wouldn't know where to start recommending books for him. But I know he enjoyed Da Vinci Code (my dad loves conspiracy theories) and Bourne Identity so you might want to look at some bestsellers that stood the test of time. John la Carre is my father in law's favourite, so spy thrillers might be a good way to go too.

5. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

My dad loved Louis L'Amour.

6. TheFictionalMan

TheFictionalMan Member

I would recommend anything by Ray Bradbury (unless he doesn't like science fiction), then I would say definitely read Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Hounds of Baskerville or Study in Scarlet)

7. Piddlepup

Piddlepup New Member

If he likes history I would recommend anything by Stephen Ambrose or David McCullough