Tags:
  1. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason

Combining two different stories...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CharlieTheUnicorn13, Jan 3, 2008.

I'm not sure of whether this belongs in the plot creation section or not, so sorry if it does.

Okay. So, I just started writing a new story, and I think I'm off to a pretty good start. About three/four months ago I started one, and never finished it, because I didn't have the plot figured out. Now I've got that problem with this one. I only have enough ideas to last me maybe till chapter four. But then I got an idea. What if I combined the two stories? The plots aren't completely alike, but I can see how they might fit together. Is this a good idea? Also, doing this would require having two main characters, so I'd have alternating POV's (point of view) throughout the story. So. Do you think it will work?

2. Sir Ender

Sir Ender New Member

If you're able to maintain the POV switches and still manage to explain things well enough, I think it's worth a shot.

Sometimes the trouble with two MC's is that one overshadows the other. What you could do is say, make one the MC and the other a very strong secondary role, or you could try and balance the two equally.

3. CharlieTheUnicorn13

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking--the thing is, they know each other, and they spend quite a lot of time together. In the story, one character stays home while the other's at school. I figured I could follow the other one around at school while her friend's at home, bored. I think I'll try to make one the MC and the other a very strong secondary role, like you said.

I'm still willing to hear other's opinions, though.

Thanks.

4. Klee

Klee New Member

I think that's a very good idea. I think you could also pull it off as a crossover, keeping the stories separate but mixing them together at certain point(s). It would be something a bit more original and interesting.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The important thing is that something should converge the two subplots to a single overall storyline. Otherwise, they shouldn't be combined.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's no way any of us can tell you if it'll work or not, because virtually anything will work, if the writer has talent and skill enough and nothing will, if s/he doesn't... so, go ahead and try it... you can't know if it'll work till you do...

7. CharlieTheUnicorn13

I see what you mean. Thanks. I'll give it a shot, and if I don't like the results, I'll go back and start over where I left off before I made the change. :)