1. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

have a meeting (real world)

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by dave_c, Mar 10, 2013.

just thought i would put the idea out there.

I have talked quite extensively on here to a few writers and thought it might be a nice idea to have a sort of mass writing group or convention for forum members. maybe even get in a few speakers. just a random thought.

2. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

who'd pay to organize it, rent a meeting hall, etc.?

4. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

Logistics won't be simple;Vegas, Pigalle, Soho or Dublin?

5. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Let's see if I have this right. You're suggesting creating a forum within a forum? Why? Someone suggested this before but then left. Perhaps they didn't get enough members for their private forum or then again maybe they did.

6. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Logistics would be tough. My boy Lemex lives like 3,000 miles away.

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Haha. Yeah I do. :D But I think I still owe you a drink from some time not long past. ;)

8. dave_c

dave_c Active Member

logistics would be difficult but doable. financing wouldn't be an issue i dont know about the US but in UK you can hire out hall for very minimal amounts for example the town hall for my sisters wedding cost £500 or you could possibly even approach a store like waterstones they sometimes allow people to use their facilities free of or very low of charge if they dont have someone paying and booked in.

there is nothing to stop having more than one either so you could have a couple in the US and 1 in the UK.

no you don't have it right, I'm not suggesting setting up a forum within the forum, I'm suggesting a forum or multiple forums FOR the forum. Im not putting a downer on the online forum but there are certain things that it is quite easier to do in person. Its also better for networking with other writers in your area. It would also probably increase the population on the online forum, win win.

Im not suggesting for a second it would be easy but what worth doing is?

Also erebh, thanks for the link ill be taking a look at that ;)

9. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Much as I like the idea, I do think that the logistics and costs would be difficult. Even though, yes, you could rent a hall somewhere, our members are far-flung and travel and lodging costs would come into play, plus any fees for speakers, etc.

I think something that might be more feasible would be if people got together WHILE attending a different, already-existing writing conference -- maybe the writer's digest conference, or AWP, or Backspace, or any number of other conferences. That way, all of the logistical details -- and workshops, speakers, etc., would already be taken care of by someone else, and we could just meet one evening, or the day before or after the programs, etc. start.

10. Phoenix Hikari

Phoenix Hikari New Member

... Or we can have an online conference. Only any member needs is a computer, a cam, a mic and internet connection and I think most if not all of us has that. It's not very different from face-to-face as many business companies do this, we will see and hear each other, not to mention can use tools on our computers to draw diagrams or whatever it is we are discussing at the moments. The whole thing is for free and can be accessed across the globe so no one would be left out.

I am not talking about yahoo conference, but about netMeeting.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you independently wealthy, dave?... ever hear the term 'starving writer'?... how many of the members here do you really think could afford to travel hundreds or thousands of miles to pay for attending such a conference?... and, as you claim 'financing wouldn't be an issue' can i assume you will be paying for all the expenses of organizing such an event, including renting the space?...

all of which you will fund out of your own pocket, right?... i'll be happy to attend... you can prepay my airfare via expedia... and don't forget to reserve me a hotel room on your credit card... you're a prince!

12. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

I'm part of a small critique group, made up mainly of Irish members. We hold a writers' 'getaway' once a year where we run lectures and workshops on many aspects of the trade. We generally rent out a couple of holiday homes, usually out in the countryside, and mix a lot of work with a couple of evenings of comradely bonding. Costs are split equally between attendees and it works very well. I'm sure British members of this site could organise something similar, as could members from the American continent. Members with specific interests/expertise could prepare lectures/workshops, or guest speakers could be invited from the trade. It's definitely doable.:)