Tags:
  1. Anaspiringauthor

Anaspiringauthor Member

Use of the Word "Autobiographical"

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Anaspiringauthor, Jul 29, 2017.

Hi, I may or may not be overthinking this, but I'd like to double-check anyway. Whenever I hear the word "autobiographical" it's in reference to someone else's (autobiographical) work. When talking in the first-person, is it still grammatically acceptable (although maybe not optimal) to use the word "autobiographical?" E.g., "Let me get some quick autobiographical information out of the way," after which I'd go on to say a whole bunch of stuff about myself. By definition, I think autobiographical (rather than plain "biographical") is a better fit considering it's information about me. Given those two options, what do you think?

—Thank you

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Autobiographical and biographical generally only refers to written information about a person. Biographical meaning, "I wrote about this persons life story," whereas autobiographical means, "I wrote my life story," nd autobiographical information would generally refer information about your actual written autobiography. Title, publisher, etc. How you're using it works, but it seems like, "Let's get some quick information about me out of the way," would be easier and less confusing.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    You have it figured out. :)

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

tbh it might me more natural to say "let me introduce myself"

jannert likes this.