1. losthawken

losthawken Author J. Aurel Guay Role Play Moderator Contributor

Heart of Star Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by losthawken, Nov 25, 2011.

Here is where we will discuss the game. All Out of character content belongs here to keep the maine thread clean. Please PM me your character profiles before posting them in the main thread.

I'm away from home now, but will be back on Monday.

2. Forgotten_Memories

Forgotten_Memories Active Member

Will have a character up soon Hawken! :)

3. losthawken

I can't figure out how to edit a previous post and update the character template on the game page... But please include a description of your character's appearance for other characters to work with. Just like last time you will all be starting out in (or at least near) a bar at a trader gathering where the seekers have come to trade in their shards for credits and more supplies.

Ah, I figured out hot to edit, but its the stupid log-in glitch isn't letting me edit that page at the moment...

4. Earphone

Earphone Active Member

I hate that glitch. I'll be sure to add an appearance to my character.

5. losthawken

Welcome aboard Mr. Mr.!!

6. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

I just wanted to apologize for my actions in version one of this RPG. I really did get busy, and haven't returned to this site until now. But it looks like I'm going to have a lot of spare time on my hands now, and this time I mean it.

I was really just wondering if you'd allow me to be back on board with this RPG, Hawk, since this was one of my best experiences with this site. I'm trying to get back into writing after a year long hiatus, and I figure this is the best way to do it.

And again, I really am sorry for before.

7. Question

Question Active Member

I just sent hawken my character profile and I am excited to get this thing moving. How many people do you guys think will join?

8. losthawken

Chill out Mingo, there's no hard feelings. Its a web forum; people come and go without reason all the time. Mostly its because they have real lives that are more important and thats the way it should be. You may have missed it but I ended up having to close the first game b/c of a personal crisis with my Job. I'm hoping we can all make it work better this time.

You are more than welcome to join!

9. losthawken

Check your mail Q, your in. I dunno how many people will join. Last time there were more than I could handle really. But I honestly expected a little more interest by now. That's not a bad thing though, a small group is easier to manage and can be more fun. I think the RPG section has slowed due to some disappointing games and lack of moderation. Hopefully we can rectify that situation and revive the RPGs.

10. Question

Question Active Member

Allright Im on.:) I added a bit more description to my whip so it isn't just pure energy. Also was I not supposed to put my bio on the main thread? If not then just tell me and I can edit it.

11. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

Any room left for me? I've been/am super busy, but I would like to get back into an RPG especially since Terrafel isn't going right now. Despite being busy I should be able to keep up since I'm less busy than I was. :)

12. losthawken

Absolutely! we'd be glad to have you Yellow!

Oh, and to answer Question's question; Its no big deal but why don't you edit out the bio, if you can. My reason for not posting the bios to all the players was to force us to show the characters personality and history in the story as practice for real writing, and to make the character itneractions more realistic and challenging.

13. losthawken

I just posted the bio for Hawkins on the main thread. He will be the missing seeker of whom it will be your first objective to find. I want all of the players to come up with some relationship between their own character and Hawkins. He's a renown seeker and has traveled the stars so it shouldn't be too hard. The relationship can be mere acquaintance or something more involved; so long as it motivates your character to want to go find him in dangerous territory. It doesn't have to be a positive relationship but try to think outside the box so as we get some variety.

I'm giving you creative license here so use it well and challenge me. I'll work whatever you come up with into the plot. Feel free to post ideas and questions here.

14. losthawken

OK, Q had some great idea's he has PMed me regarding his character! I'm still waiting to hear more either here on by PM.

We've got 3 players so far, and 3 more that intend to join. Lets see if we can get everyone signed on and ready for a mid-week kick-off. Late comers will be welcome of course.

15. Evil Flamingo

Hey Forgotten and Yellow! You should really get those characters up, I'm excited to get this thing goin'!

16. losthawken

Gearing up to start soon, here is your official Shard Seekers handbook (feel free to ask any questions or ask for clarification):

SHARD-SEEKERS HANDBOOK

Welcome adventurer on your first journey as a shard seeker. Make no mistake that while the path you have chosen is a truly profitable one there are many dangers involved and it behooves all to be well informed. Included in this document are the basics of what you will need to know to get your start making your fortune as a seeker.

Seeker Contracts
    The first thing a beginning seeker will need to do is to sign on with one of the major trading companies. This will provide you with start-up funds and basic equipment to get you into deep space. Contracts typically last 3 cycles or until the death of the seeker, whichever comes first (typically the latter). Some seekers have had success as independents, however, this requires that they own their own equipment and already have the necessary experience.

Basic equipment:

Shards/Shard Fields
    Shards were discovered in deep space last century. These high density crystals emit a peculiar radiation that interacts with nature at the sub-quantum level. They are found in many sizes and a variety strengths. There are are three main types of field that can be generated from shards.

De-energizing/defensive shield – These fields convert any energy including, laser blasts and kinetic energy, into matter. The efficiency of this transfer is proportional to the strength of the shard, the intensity of the field at the point of impact and the amount of energy to be converted. Middle range energy impacts, such as bullets and energy blasts are stopped easily, while interactions at the farther ends of the spectrum, such as a stealthy knife strike or a nuclear explosion will pass through the field more effectively.

Energizing/Blast field – Essentially the opposite of a defense shield; this field converts a percentage of matter into a stream of radiation that follows the trajectory of the original object when it contacted the field. Again, the efficiency of the transfer is proportional to the intensity of the field, and the strength of the shard. In general the efficiency is much lower than a defensive field and results in a blast more akin to a pulse laser than an atomic bomb.

Tachyon field - Sub quantum Tachyon energy was discovered to flow between the stars in celestial winds. Tach-fields harness these currents and translate them into kinetic energy, moving shuttles, skiffs and shard seekers on glowing energy sails across and between the planets.

Field Focusing Elements
    The energy emitted by shards is generally diffuse uneven and useless, however, certain materials have been discovered that can channel these energies into more refined fields. Carefully managed electrical currents can further tune and modify these fields. Thus, any of the three major field types can be generated with only two elements;a shard and a focusing element. Stories have been told of stranded seekers fending off Fyer attacks with only a single shard and a bone torn from a decapod as a focusing element.

AI
    Most space journeyers are familiar with the AI system. These programs, though they seem sentient, are simply advanced algorithms designed to protect their owners from the psychological strain of deep space journeys and to manage the necessary background operations important to life in space. Such tasks include gravity simulation, life-support and shuttle-craft interface.

E-Suit
    E-suits are standard issue and many times your E-suit will be your only defense against the extremes of the space void. Made from the still living hides of Fyers the suits manage temperature extremes and pressure inside the suit by the advanced biology of their gas-phase circulation. Small tears and scratches are usually repaired by the cells of the suit itself but there are automated functions added to the suits to make quick, though temporary repairs that will preserve life. These systems and the general health of the suit are managed by your AI. Suits are generally fitted tightly to the body and sometimes retain the luminous properties of their original owners.

Shard Harness
    Shard seeking requires equipment that is highly maneuverable, simple and dependable. Early seekers depended on small shuttle craft and standard space suites to traverse the planets and asteroids in search of shard-creatures. However, this often led to seekers dying on distant rocks due to failed engines and damaged equipment. To reduce these unfortunate fatalities the shard harness was devised. Harnesses provide another layer of protection from the extremes of space for the head and core of the wearer and house multiple shards to reliably provide power and various energy fields. Though not designed for interstellar travel, when combined with simple field focusing devices the shard harnesses allows seekers to travel at high speeds and generate specialized fields without any complex external machinery.

Interstellar Fauna

Specters
    Specters are space faring creatures of varying sizes mostly found in the deep space regions of the Outer Rim. Little is known about them save that they are often very hostile. The scans that have been obtained show they are unique in that no biological components have ever been detected within them. They are made up exclusively of shards and shard-like crystalline structures suspended in a field of electromagnetic energy. Despite their wealth and magnitude of shards, it is advised that NO SEEKER EVER ATTEMPT TO HARVEST SHARDS FROM A SPECTER. Specters emit long range hull piercing energy blasts, move quickly in the air and on ground, can arrange themselves into various forms and have been reported to be capable of some sort of teleportation. To date, no specter has been killed or restrained. When encountering these entities it is advisable to flee immediately. In dire circumstances the creatures can be temporarily destabilized by a targeted blast to their core energy center. The nature of their hostility is unclear in that unlike other, more organically based creatures, they do not make use of the shards of their victims. Instead these entities seem to mount coordinated assaults on deep space outposts and settlements leaving no survivors without taking so much as a single shard. Their level of sentience and intentions toward humanity are a topic of much debate.

Fyer-Flies
    These luminescent many-winged creatures were once thought to be docile drifters in space. “Fyers”, as they are often called, revealed their true nature with the emergence of shard technology. Moving in pods of 5-20, these creatures scour the galaxy for asteroid bound shards and and will use their powerful blasters to mine them from rock and shuttle-craft alike. Swarms of the creatures have been known to descend on unsuspecting shard powered craft and tear them to pieces with no regard for human life. Despite their incredible speed and their ferocity in the presence of shards, they are a profitable prey for seekers due to their relative fragility, wealth of internal shards and the usefulness of their hides in making bio-active E-suits. Because of their high-pressure gas-phase circulation system a well aimed shot to pierce their main body will essentially detonate the creatures (careful aim is a must if their valuable hides are to be salvaged). Each adult Fyer can be expected to yield 3-8 shards.

Decapods
    Resembling oversized isopods from earth, decapods are the staple shard source for seekers. The creatures live in symbiosis with a remarkably space tolerant fungus that hitchhikes along with them as they drift between asteroids. Once a decapod crash lands on an asteroid or planet the fungus grows out and covers the area in a thick blanket of slime as it slowly degrades its environment. As it does so it breaks down rock and debris into energy and the chemical building blocks that nourish itself and the decapods. The first decapod will become a queen and scour the nearby landscape for shards and a location to set up her hive. Once she has obtained enough shards to provide for her offspring she will begin generating smaller clone like drones. These drones will continue the work of harvesting shards while the queen metamorphosizes into her final stage capable of generating new queen eggs and blasting them back into space where they will drift indefinitely until they encounter new ground to colonize and repeat the cycle. Decapods are aggressive and armed with shard enabled energy blasters. Unlike fyers, dacapods have substantial defenses in the form of thick stone-encrusted exoskeletons and defensive shard fields that render long range energy blasts useless. The main technique for harvesting decapods involves very close range attacks from within their shields and piercing their bodies either from beneath or from above between their protective scales. Decapod drones can be expected to house 6-10 shards while Queens can contain as many as 600, however, queens are rarely harvested as the larger decapods tend to have more substantial defenses.

You will likely encounter a range of other space adapted species in your travels, however these have not been fully documented and cannot be described here. Be advised that most interstellar species depend on shards as much as you and will likely be eager to commandeer your shards for themselves.

17. Evil Flamingo

Cool. Interstellar fauna makes this so much more interesting.

18. Question

Question Active Member

Allright! Now we've got 5 people. Hey Hawken are you going to add the character Andremeda that was in the short story snippets?
    Just curious.

19. W.H. Clay

W.H. Clay New Member

Im jumping in the last minute. Im Excited!!!!! I joined WritingForums for this thread. I love interactive writing and the writing forum i belong to doesn't really get into it. SO here i am! Its going to be great!
    Oh and I am approved, my Bio is posted :D

20. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

I am so so so so so sorry I haven't done anything yet. I was going to and then I got busy and then i got really sick and I still want to join but i might take me a couple days to send something? That ok?

21. Forgotten_Memories

I just sent my character... not sure if it went through properly. :S

Let me know Hawken.

22. Forgotten_Memories

Double post.

23. losthawken

Wow great questions. First a little background; this is the second run of the same RPG, the first got derailed a few weeks in due to complications outside of the game. So, since then some things have evolved with the shard tech (and may have inconsistencies that I haven't detected yet) and some details are still undecided. On to the questions:

1) Shard color and hue have some effect on how well a shard emit certain fields, but as yet I haven't defined them and don't have a preference. Size (and quality) will relate to the amount of energy a shard emits.

2) For all practical purposes shards emit power indefinitely. I was figuring on a marble sized shard generating a 3 square inch field at max while a softball size shard would generate fields large enough to generate multiple fields for small space craft.

3) Tach-fields are basically an excuse to make cool solar sails. The tach rod generates the field/sail and will pull you with it as long as you hold onto or are attached to the rod. The wind used is sub-quantum streams that flow through the universe that I made up just for this purpose.

4) In the latest rendition of the game tach-rods and focusing elements are the same thing. Any focusing element can generate any type of field and the type of field can be managed by your AI via electrical currents.

5) Right, they can be in pretty much any shape.

6) Originally, one field did all three functions. I've since evolved it to be different fields. However, one focusing element can switch field type rapidly so one focusing element can generate pretty much all the fields you need.

24. losthawken

It came twice, but I just figured you were really eager :)

So, almost everyone is on. I'll work on the intro post today and get it up sometime between this afternoon and tomorrow morning (EST). Once that is up you can start posting!

If we don't hear from Yellow soon, I'll leave room for her to join after the start.

25. losthawken

Double post