1. rory

rory Active Member

Going to Hogwarts! Who's with me?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rory, Jan 27, 2010.

Just heard about this... and I'm so EXCITED! Then again, I'm a nerd who idea of a good new years eve activity was to watch all the HP movies... OH WELL! Universal Orlando, here I come!

[​IMG]

(Original article here)

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Expect the lines to be long and the food to be greasy. :redface:

3. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

A Harry Potter theme park, wow! So...what does JD Rowling do for her next Earth shattering blockbuster? Poor thing has nothing left to work for...LOL

4. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

ok that actually sounds completely awesome!

I'm a huge HP nerd though so kit would sound awesome to me :p

5. rory

rory Active Member

I'm stoked, if you couldn't already tell, bad food an all. Shame I have such a weak stomach that all the roller coasters won't be an option for me :(

I'm pretty sure JKR is set for life. But if I had been in her shoes, I would have required my own living space in Gryffindor Tower.

Off to see when the next train leaves from platform 9¾! Yah!

6. Peerie Pict

Peerie Pict Contributor Contributor

I went to see where they actually filmed Hogwarts at Alnwick Castle the other day as it's not far from where I live. I think this is more authentic than seeing a big plastic mock up, no?

7. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    Disney>Britain.

Better costumes and no need to be on acid to appreciate the funny way everyone talks. Sad but true.

8. Peerie Pict

Can't say I understood that.

9. Sabreur

:) You'll get it eventually. You may laugh, you may want to throw some tea at the computer monitor.

Either way, you'll get it. :p

10. Peerie Pict

Nah xenophobia is usually fairly obvious even in poorly constructed sentences.

11. Sabreur

;) Humor is found across the Pond, right? I'm certain jokes are made about my nation all the time, maybe even by a Brit or two! Shocking, I know. :) I assure you, Disney is not really better than Britain. Well, maybe the costumes but I say the same concerning mainstream America. Jumping from "Oh, a joke" to "XENOPHOBE!" is quite the leap of faith, I must say.

12. Peerie Pict

Funny accents, tea consumption, rain, rotting teeth ... this is usually the typical progression in this type of thread. I was merely putting forth a pre-emptive strike. If it wasn't justified I apologise. Just try being a Scot in the good ol' US of A for more than two hours without being an object of much hilarity due to the alien accent. I'm not saying it keeps me awake at night but I don't find myself laughing at the accents of French, Kiwis... South Africans.

It must just be a humour thing as you say.

13. Sabreur

Secret time: Funniest accent in the world is tied between Brooklyn and anywhere in America's Deep South. ;)

I'm visiting London over spring break with some classmates of mine and I'm certain there will be some Brits giving us Yanks an odd stare or two. It's all part and parcel of being in a foreign nation. I'll just leave my Sinn Fein shirts at home and hopefully the attention will stop at an odd stare or two ;)

Sorry if I offended you. Some jokes are best kept to myself.

14. MCWhite

MCWhite New Member

Disney does a great job creating realistic, visually-stunning environments- Anyone been to Orlando and been on the Tower of Terror? Or the Aerosmith ride? If this turns out half as good as the ToT, it's something to look forward to. Though I doubt it'll beat visiting the real castle.
    Reminds me of how I wanted to travel to New Zealand when the LOTR: The Two Towers came out, just to see the sets and pretend I was... well, one of the riders of Rohan (I was in middle school then, don't judge too harshly). :rolleyes:

15. Peerie Pict

Lol Sinn Fein shirts. I'm not offended at all don't apologise - I'm just a crabby so and so at this time of night, should really go to bed but iTunes is keeping me up.

You won't get odd stares in London, just some sighs and eye rolling;)

But that's Londoners, we're friendlier in Edinburgh.

16. rory

rory Active Member

I pretend I'm one of the riders of Rohan every time I go ride my horse. Or maybe an Algarian...

I've never been to a theme park in my life, so I'm pretty excited. Amusement parks are different. I've been to three of those and all they are really are vomit inducing rides placed within walking distance interspersed with delicious grease food all surrounded by a fence of some sort.
    My parents promised my family we'd go to Disneyland when my youngest brother turned eight, so he'd be able to remember it. He's nineteen and I still haven't gotten to meet Mickey.

17. Mr Book

Mr Book New Member

With living about an hour away from Orlando, I have to say it is a very touristy (if that's a word :D ) town. The Disney parks are a great place to go to and Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure (where the new HP area is) is another great place to go on vacation. My wife and friends are HP nerds that are waiting for this to open, and most of the food there is regular theme park food but there are some very good places to eat as well.

18. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

CanNOT wait for this to open!! I am forcing my family to take me, and I will nerd out over HP. :D

Best thing ever, though. There's this new technology from a company called Neurosky that is a headset that measures your brain waves and lets you move things with your mind. If they gave those out at the start of the ride, plus wands, people could pretend to be casting real spells like Accio. :D

Just a nerd's dream, forgive me. ;)

19. rory

rory Active Member

Nothing to forgive Gigi_GNR. I intend to go over the Christmas Holidays next year, and will probably end up going by myself because none of my friends or family are quite as nerdy as me. They just don't understand how fully awesome this is going to be!

20. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Seriously, just thinking about this makes me excited. If I went here, I would pass out. :D

21. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I told Joel that we need to start planning yearly vacations and next year, I wanted to go here. :) His mom and I were talking about it today, we're going to plan a few days to hit the HP theme park and then go on a cruise.

22. Writt

Writt New Member

My word... That is simply amazing.

23. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I want to go. So bad.

24. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

Seriously, I wouldn't try to go until it's been open for at least a year. Otherwise the crowds are going to be so huge, you won't have time to do much besides wait in line.

If anyone does decide to go, though, let me know. I only live 90 mins away! :)

25. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Like you said, I'll probably wait a while before I drag Joel there, but I'll definitely let you know when we decide to go! :D