1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

UK or US, or another?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Charisma, Dec 24, 2007.

Should I use US English or Uk English in my writings, or some other form (which I definitely do not know of )? Since English is my second language, and I do not belong to either of these countries, I don't know which English to use. Does it depend on the publisher? Or the audience?
    My stupid Word program (due to some stupid reason) doesn't adopt UK English, and keeps using US English even when I try to change it. But my school teaches British English. It's just irritating :p.

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Microsoft Word - Writing Forums

Try the language thing.

3. Charisma

I just did it. Phew! Thanks. But it still doesn't answer the first part of the question. :)

4. adamant

I say US English, and this is my reasoning:

[​IMG]

Also, the American population outnumbers many of the other English-speaking countries combined [1].

5. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Mainly I say UK English since we are the English people speaking english so we that way you will be speaking correct English, lol. I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet when Americans tell me I have spelt colour wrong when I am English and speaking English. lol.

Honestly though, it depends on where you would like to be published. If you want to be published for an American Audience then use Us English. If you want to be published for a British Audience, then use UK English. Buy I say UK out of them both. :D

6. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

A somewhat successful writing friend of mine in Australia told me once that it does not matter which version of English you use, as long as you're consistent. But if you know your primary market and can consitently use one or the other, write in the one that matches the market.

My feeling is that in the end, if your submission is of high quality, the version of English (UK or US) won't matter at all.

Terry

7. Charisma

(Looks around confused) I'll stick to US English.

8. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    Adamant if you want to go by numbers we should be using Chinglish. There are more English speakers in China then anywhere else. :p
    Anthraxx go with whichever you are comfortable with. Since you seem to like American English use that. Although as a former British colony Pakistan, British English is probably more common.

9. Charisma

Thanks Domo. For further confusing me. :confused: But really, thanks.

10. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I do my best.
    But seriously use American English, unless you work for the government under a very strict boss it won't matter one way the other.

11. lessa

lessa New Member

I prefer the UK english as that was what they taught in Canada.
    Sure do wish micro soft word used it. I very rarely spell anything wrong
    but the program makes me feel almost illiterate.
    OK Americans learn to spell.

12. adamant

Eh... do what I said to anthraxx at the beginning of this thread.

13. Charisma

Then I'd rather use Urdu since our government officers don't know English (excluding the higher politicians. Even so, they can't spell receive correctly.)

14. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the only thing that should govern your choice is which market you seek to be published in... if you intend to submit to us agents/publishers, use us style... if uk, then use that one...

whichever you do use, make sure you do a good job of it... do enough reading and watching the appropriate books/movies to learn how the people speak and how to write it authentically... that may be the hardest part of all for you and you'd do well to have a knowledgeable person who writes in that style look over your work and let you know if you get it or not...

love and hugs, maia

15. Charisma

Thanks maia.

16. Edward

Edward Active Member

I'm an American, and I use "colour" "honour" and all those words with "s" instead of "z". If I ever got published, I'm sure they'd change it, so it's not like it really matters. Hell, don't even worry about it, publishers will just alter it anyway, not something to lose sleep over.

Besides, we Americans don't need to learn to spell, we can just do it our way and say it's the right way, because it is. We're cowboys like that. Hell, it's not like we've got a national language anyway.

17. ThreeSided

ThreeSided Banned

Well, as it was said before, just be consistent. And since you're American, US English is easier for you, and it's harder to be consistent if you are trying to do the one you're not used to.

I've been hearing a bit of "Americans do it wrong" in this thread. Though I'm sure most of you are joking, I'm sensing that others of you aren't. Please keep in mind that they are different dialects, and neither one is "wrong". There are different dialects in most languages, including languages such as Spanish and Portuguese. Neither of these is considered "correct" or "incorrect".

Just lettin' ya know.

18. adamant

Actually, anthraxx is in Pakistan which learns British English due to their years of military occupation. So... yeah.

19. ThreeSided

ThreeSided Banned

Ah... Well then stick with the British English. If it's what you know, it's what you know, and as long as you're consistent, it really doesn't matter.

Honestly, I enjoy reading British English better, but that may just be because I seem to have liked all the British people I've ever met.

20. Charisma

(Confused yet again)

One, I'll say that having British English as the major dialect of our country, doesn't change much for me BECAUSE
    (A) English is a SECOND language. People barely know there are two types of English.
    (B) People are not very nicely educated. They mix up the dialects.
    (C) With the new superpower in US, the administration is moving to American English.
    (D) English media and information is basically American English, except a few old English novels.

Two, American English is easier for me BECAUSE
    (A) I've learnt English from THREE major sources: a friend from USA, US cartoons and school (which doesn't always know the difference between colour and color). So I'm more typical in US English.
    (B) My style of writing, jokes and expression when it comes to US and UK, are better in case of USA. Because my communication skills have been developed by US sources.

Three, British English may be better for me BECAUSE
    (A) My accent is British. I can do some American - but then I sound like a loser.
    (B) I'm not bad at British dialogues. And I've read fairly large amount of British literature, and I've always admired British English more since it was the original.
    (C) My school and Cambridge University teaches British English, and so do major institutions of Pakistan (with the exception of few who don't mind either English).

My conclusion:
    It doesn't matter which English I use as long as I can differ between their distinctive qualities, as said before by TWErwin2.

Phew! I don't know why I posted this but it should provide enough information to everyone and cut off some confused (for me).

21. ThreeSided

ThreeSided Banned

Distinctive qualities? In that case, I'd say British English. It sounds so much nicer...

22. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you can pull off either one competently, i still think you need to consider where you want to market your work... who do you want to sell it to and who will be reading it?... americans, or brits?

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Anthraxx, if UK English is what you know best, that's probably the English you should use. You're far less likely to commit idiomatic mistakes in that case, and UK English is certainly a time-honored (time honoured) dialect to write in.

As others have said, as long as you can use it consistently, you should be fine.

24. Charisma

(cONFUZZLED...note...not confused...)

I guess.

I pick neither.

I invent my own.

Less confusion and confuzzlation that way.

Seriously, I'll practice both and when it comes to the publishing part I'll pick a publisher accordingly.

25. Manny

Manny New Member

Do you think UK English usage would be frowned upon in any way by a US publisher?

My forthcoming epic is designed to appeal to all English speakers, but the US being the larger market, I am undecided as if to Americanize it now or will an editor be happy to do so if he so desires in the future?

This issue is one of the reasons I sought out this forum today as I was mulling it over whilst editing and teasing my text.