1. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Research

Discussion in 'Research' started by Prometheus, Feb 18, 2010.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find first hand experiences on involuntary mental hospital incarcerations?

2. Anonym

Anonym New Member

ive been in the hospital more than once for... mental issues. but no involuntary incarceratons per se. i know a friend who did, & it was very traumatic for him, but it'd probably be pretty insensitive to be a like "yo man, i got this doo who like, wants to talk to ppl who been in da loony-bin. you down?"... probably

a psychology/support forum?

i think there's a specific subforum for research..

3. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

I must have missed that sun-forum.

It seems a little creepy to lurk that kind of forum, but most definitely let your friend be. I'm sure I can find something by googling it, but figured someone who had already looked into might be able to pint me in the best direction.

4. Anonym

Anonym New Member

fair enough. sounds like you've got a good mentality about it. i wouldn't decide against "lurking" just yet. some of my best research has come from themed/purpose-specific forums.

any aspect of incarceration in a psych-hospital you wanted to know about specifically?

my friend characterized his experiences as being drugged & locked in a room mostly, but i don't know if that's a typical experience. & also he is schizophrenic - im assuming what a patient goes through is related to their condition. i would anticipate more therapy for perceptual (like depression, anorexia, ect) as opposed to truly involuntary, nuerological disturbances - such as schizophrenia or manic bipolarity - which are less effected by counselling, but i don't want to pretend to know all that much...

good luck tho

5. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

I'm just looking generally right now. I can't refrain from sharing my short stories with my online friends. I think I might actually be able to not publicly publish a longer fiction piece and the plot theme requires knowledge of mental hospitals.

I have to run back up the mountain now. It might be awhile before I can get back on the net but thanks for replying.

6. Anonym

Anonym New Member

no problem dude.

Like i said, i think the treatmeant depends on the conditions of your internment. A suicidal patient might need to be watched, a psychotic drugged/straightjacketed, ect. Most would probably be drugged & in required therapy. that's about as general as it can get i imagine.

if you to talk more or have me read your piece Pm me, otherwise i'd be interested in anything you find out

7. whiskeyjameson

whiskeyjameson Member

Try this. I'm a psych major (whoopie) and Axis V of the DSM IV is the GAF scale (Global Assessment of Functioning Scale). These numbers are given to patients when they are admitted and then when they are released. Without knowing much about it it might be hard to use. But basically the lower the numbers the different type of treatment of the patient you'll see. The link is below.

http://www.psychscholar.com/GAF.html

Hope this helps.

Best, Whiskey

8. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Ah, cool. I'm planning to major in psych myself. Pretty interesting; I've actually been rated before myself (a 54 at the time..), now i've got my own, yay! lol.

i see what you mean, but w/ that in mind i presume much variation of experiences is due to the specific condition of the patient. hmm..

9. writewizard

writewizard New Member

Read the book Girl, Interupted. Probably one of the cloest thing although I believe she goes voluntairly.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

google for websites/forums/chatrooms devoted to former mental patients... then ask the folks themselves, if their comments/articles/blogs don't give you all that you need...

11. JAIDS88

JAIDS88 New Member

well.. I don't know for adults, but if a kid cuts himself bad enough, they'll make him stay at the psych ward for a week or so.

12. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a couple of easy questions and that's all I should really need.. Are the rooms really padded? Do they contain any type of furniture? Are there typically any windows, do the doors have a window, or a peep hole?

As I've been developing the outline the plot has changed enough that I don't really need to know. But I'd like the protagonist's perceptions on this part to be correct.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

only the ones for short term observation of violently self-destructive patients who might bang their heads/bodies against the walls... they wouldn't live in such a room, as medications would be prescribed to keep them 'docile'...

no, since that would negate the safety factor...

in the padded rooms, no windows, just a peephole...

normal residential rooms would have windows and functional furniture and be attractively decorated... that is, in regular mental health facilities, anyway... those for the criminally insane would be more secure and less likely to be designed for comfort...

14. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Great, thanks for the info mamma. I'm only up 1400 words and haven't had to really address these issues yet. But your input is very helpful.

I wanted to add that I haven't yet been able to find a specific research section. However, if anyone has any questions on rural life/lifestyles feel free to ask. My avatar is a picture of me, last week I castrated 4 of our animals, I killed my elk this fall, built our own home, live off-grid etc. etc.