Tags:
  1. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

2013 - Goals.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by psychotick, Dec 31, 2012.

Hi Guys,

Well 2012 has gone, and at the start of the year I had the goal of writing and publishing four books. I failed slightly. I got three out, one was a whopper 250k monster that sucked up my time, but the fourth, the second novella in the wizard at law series is in editing at the moment, so hopefully I'll get it back in a few days and go from there.

Having failed in my goals for 2012, naturally I have to set goals for 2013, and this time I've decided to be ambitious. (The tellies been cr*p lately anyway!) So I'm going to shoot for six books out this year, and as if that isn't enough, edit at least five of my old books and put them out on paper as well as pixels.

So there are my goals, and next new years day I'll have to remember this thread and start counting. That's the advantage of writing it down.

So guys, I'm committed (or the doctors are trying hard to have me so!). What are your goals for 2013? Do you have the guts to commit yourselves to the institution known as writing yourself on the page?

Cheers, Greg.

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, I'm not sure for the whole year, but I want to get at least one chapter done before Jan. 14th, as that's the start of my second semester, where I'm taking Fiction Writing II. I want to give them a good full chapter to critique.

I don't know, I haven't really thought of a writing goal beyond that, to be honest. :/

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

My only goal is to finish more manuscripts and send them away than last year. Last year just wasn't as comfortable for me. It was one of those years where the highs were very high and the lows were crushing. So ...

I guess it can't help to say this: this year I should really think about sitting down and finally beginning the large project I've had swimming around in my head for a while.

4. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

My goals will hopefully be made easier to attain when I get my new laptop in a month or two. I'm hoping that being able to sit downstairs with few distractions will increase my productivity.

My targets are to have something published for the fourth year in a row (and more than one this year), and write two or three longer stories of 20,000 words+. Not much, but it's a big year in my career and writing will probably have to take a back seat for a while.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I want to get some short stories published in professional magazines. I also want to get going on a new novel - a pretty short and unambitious one I've had in mind for a couple of years now. If I get any spare time, I want to work on my big novel (not big in length, but in importance to me).

So the early part of the year will be devoted to finishing and submitting about six short stories, then I have longer works to focus on.

6. Dagolas

Dagolas Banned

I'm going to try and get my novel finished! Still got about 100K words or more to go :( Barely started first chapter haha

7. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

My writing goal for this year is to dig down deep to that eight year old me and write more children's short stories. I hope to polish them enough to send out to children's magazines for publication. I've been reading through the magazines I want to send to, which is really fun. Those children's writers are so inspiring! Creativity can be contagious. :)

8. Carthonn

Carthonn Active Member

To finish a story and submit it to be published.

9. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

To live.

10. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

My writing goal for the year is to get the story I've been working on for the past two to three years completely written, polished, and possibly sent out for consideration.
    That of course would mean getting myself in gear and stop trying to stress over the little details like I tend to do. Damn my over productive brain!

11. midnight candle

midnight candle New Member

i'm going to finish my screenplay, finish my novel and write more short stories for submission. goal for the year is to have more printed work.

12. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

As far as writing is concerned, I want to write and submit a minimum of 3 stories. I also want to get started on a novel I've been meaning to write for a while now.

13. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

I will finally properly get going on my historical novel; I've been doing the research but I need to just start and now I will!

I'm also aiming to read 100 books this year, which will mean watching a lot less rubbish tv - that can only be a good thing!

Unrelated to writing, I also intend to run a half marathon this year :D

14. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

To become even more awesome than I already am.

15. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

To spend less time on forums like this one and spend the time saved writing - I haven't made a good start!

16. TimHarris

TimHarris Member

I will work progressively on my science fiction novel that I started mid december, aiming to have it finished by summer so I can start the editing process. Hopefully I might make some money off of it, if not, then it will still be an amazing learning experience that I can take with me for my next novel.

17. DeviouSquirrel

DeviouSquirrel Member

I want to edit and polish the two novels I've actually finished and write three more this year. I suck at editing, so I have some steep learning curves to attack this year.

18. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

Just to make more time for writing. I've really let it slip through the cracks in the past three years or so, and I really miss it. I always tell myself I don't have time, but I seem to make time for watching Netflix and lurking around the internet. I've just got to get on my own butt about it.

19. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Five pages a day - But I'm not off to a good start. I made a sticky note that said five pages no excuses! I crumpled it into a ball,
    thinking no prob. Then I sat and stared at my computer screen, typed out one paragraph. Read it and said no I can do better, altered it
    tweaked it started over and over.

My five page start is three measly sentences that I'm still not sure about arrgh!

Now today I have to do ten pages to compensate. I'm thinking of writing out a scene and not starting at the beginning of my
    story -I have no problems with starting a short story - but novels why are they always so nerve wracking to start?!