1. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

Documentaries on Writing/Writers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Damage718, Jan 29, 2020.

Admittedly, I haven't scoured YouTube all that much for this, aside from tips/explainer/essay-type videos ( like the Jenna Moreci's and Lindsay Ellis' of the world - who are both great IMHO.)

But have any of you seen any good docs on writing or writers, either on TV or online? For example I love watching 'making of'-style docs on movies and music...it's always interesting to me to get an inside look at the creative processes in something like that.

Any ones out there on writing in general or writers in particular that you can recommend?

2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Don't know where you stand on poetry, but BBC FOUR ran a documentary on Robby Burns a few days ago. Should still be on BBCi Player.

Damage718 likes this.
  3. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

"Dreams With Sharp Teeth" is a really entertaining Harlan Ellison film. He was so irascible in his old age, and I suppose in his youth too, in different ways. He sure knew how to antagonize.

Damage718 likes this.
  4. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

A great site and channel that I've been following almost daily is Film Courage. As suggested by the name, it's centers around factors within the film, cinema and tv industry, but I find it very relevant to fiction writing. A main topic is screenplay writing and it covers various aspects surrounding it, straight from the source. Some screenwriters are veterans and experienced, while others are younger and innovative. They give very interesting insights and you don't get bored, because they keep it short and you hear different things from many different people that think differently. I learned a lot about story structure from there. Some people are very inspiring as well. I highly suggest you took a look.

Alan Aspie and Damage718 like this.