1. CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist New Member

Personal Feelings

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by CunningLinguist, Mar 8, 2013.

Admittedly, my experience of writing is limited. I am trying to develop my skill as a writer and one problem that I keep coming up against is trying to lay out my own feelings so that a reader can also relate to it. I recently wrote something that was completely personal to me and made me feel emotional but I fear that other people may not relate to it as easily. Firstly, I want to ask whether or not I should post it here and secondly I want to ask whether anyone else comes up against these same problems. If other people do experience similar problems then do you have any help to offer me?

Thanks in advance.

2. Xatron

Xatron New Member

To post something up for review, you have to be registered for 14 days and post at least 2 constructive reviews on someone else's work. You will have to post it then at the writing workshop section of the forum instead of here.

3. CunningLinguist

CunningLinguist New Member

Yeah, I'd figured as much. Essentially, it's not going to get posted any time soon so I'll try to find somewhere else for now.

4. DeathandGrim

DeathandGrim Senior Member

I share your fears my boy don't worry but as writers we all have that same mental barrier as we wonder will people connect with us or how we felt.

Throw your hardest punch... did you break the barrier? Retry it again after reading this.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Try a different perspective

You might want to try a radical shift. I don't know if you're attempting to write in the first person or not, but if you are, it might help to take a step away from your 'own' persona, and create a fictional character who experiences the emotions you want to convey. Then you can write in the third person ...instead of "I felt," you would write "She/he felt." Sometimes creating distance or a new perspective works wonders at unblocking a writing problem. Simple tricks like this do work.

6. Brianw90

Brianw90 New Member

I kind of feel as if, maybe you feel the reader may not relate to what you're writing about. Which is true, some may not and some may take it as something completely different than what you were trying to convey. I think somewhere someone will take something from it and become a fan. I find myself not understand certain metaphors but some are just so beautifully written and detailed I can't help but to love it.

7. punchthedamnkeys

punchthedamnkeys Member

i do same mostly with the novel i'm trying to write. i think no matter what you do, you'll always find yourself in the characters you write. it only makes sense, right? but yes.. i do write my own personal thoughts and opinions, portraying it through the main character in the novel. when you say you're afraid other people may not relate to it as easily, the truth is some won't. you can only hope to write down and express those personal feelings as best you can, and see what happens. what you can do, is make those feelings stand out... whether it be in a pivotal moment in the story, or really go in great detail about it. that's the key, i think. choosing the right moment during the story to express them.

i can't find myself relating to every single feeling or opinion i read about, but if it's written well enough that it really captures those feelings, then i can get a good perspective of it at least.

i hope i made sense... if i didn't, i guess i need to work on my writing lol...

by the way, why the username? are you a fan of the rap group or is it something else?

8. cazann34

cazann34 Active Member

Personal feeling are hard to convey in writing, especially if you can't put them into words yourself, for instance if you feel numb with shock. I have tried to interject feeling into my writing and have even put in some of my own feelings, to add realism, only to be told it's unrealistic. I had to scoff at that. Real feelings don't always travel well onto the printed page. People need actions to convey feelings or back story to build understanding of the MC which is the last thing anyone thinks about during a traumatic event. As mentioned, change the POV and make it third person it will be easier to describe through another persons eyes.