1. bushman1

bushman1 Member

100+ images in an ebook

Discussion in 'Electronic Publishing' started by bushman1, Apr 29, 2015.

Hello Board,
    I'm wrestling with pictures in a nonfiction e-book. My hope is to include at least 100 pictures.

I am clueless on e-readers. I have zero experience with them.

Amazon suggests 600 X 800 at 300 dpi at a minimum. To be safe, I was going to batch process all my images to 1200 X 1600 at 300 dpi. Does that seem reasonable?

Where to insert is the next question. I'd like to have the pictures close to the paragraph that makes reference to the image. Seems like the easiest thing would be to insert an image between paragraphs. The next option would be to attempt to insert the image within the paragraph so that paragraph text resides on the side boundary/boundaries of the image. The third choice I've come up with is to find the bottom of the paragraph I want to insert the images, create a page break, and insert the image on a separate page before resuming the text. In essence, have a separate page devoted to an image. (100 images = 100 pages

Does any of that make sense? At the proposed resolution of 1200 X 1600 will my images display properly across different devices? Can I get away with having two pictures on a dedicated page? I have no idea how text and images are displayed on an e-reader. I'm open to any suggestions on the best way to put 100 images in an e-book. Thank you in advance for your time.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'm far from an expert, either, but one challenge that often comes up with e-books is that the formatting for them isn't the same from device to device. Even on the same device the reader can change the font size to suit her own preferences, which means that formatting has to be done in a way that's flexible enough to allow shifting.

I've formatted text-only e-books. but I'd be tempted to go to a pro if I were trying to format an image-heavy one.

If you're going to try it yourself, I'd recommend Guido Henkel's guide at http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/ . It tells you way more than you need to know if you're just doing simple formatting, but all the stuff that seemed like extra to me might be absolutely necessary for someone whose book has a lot of pictures.

bushman1 likes this.
  3. bushman1

bushman1 Member

Bayview,
    Thanks. The site you recommend looks fabulous. Looks like I have more reading to do.

I'm willing to take a stab at it if for nothing else, I get an education. I have many leads on professional help that I can pass it to if it becomes a nightmare.

Anything that I create will be double checked in Amazons Kindle Previewer. I'd also send it to a few people to see how it displays on their devices. Thank you for the advice.