1. Sethiss

Sethiss New Member

The greatest composers of written word.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sethiss, Jan 20, 2012.

Hi all,

Wondering if I could get some help, I've been reading over a story I started a while ago that I just picked up and dusted off to start working on again. I'm reading back through and editing and patching up holes, hoping to post part of it here soon for review so I can further edit what I have already written, and shape any future pages. However I have come across a hole in my story. I am referencing great writers and story tellers, however, I can't decide on a writer. For instance I have Oscar Wilde as a great story teller. His poems and prose never did that well during his time. Most found his printed words quite dull and not unique. However, his ability with the spoken word was allegedly unparalleled and he was regarded as one of (if not the) best story tellers. The trouble with the writers is I'm not sure who to use. I don't want to use Shakespeare, I've been leaning toward using someone like Dante or Tolstoy but I'm sure there are others more deserving. Any recommendations for either/reasons for or against choices? I'm looking for someone who mesmerised and captivated masses through the written word, preferably but not necessarily, someone who wrote a while ago (Dante, Herodotus, Homer, Tolstoy, Dickens, Bronte sisters etc) and are still revered today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

2. CodyBlue

CodyBlue New Member

Any writer from the 5th through 8th season of the Simpsons.

3. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

If you want someone who captivated the masses, you can't go wrong with Dumas.

4. Sethiss

Sethiss New Member

No offence Cody but I'm liking Dumas a little more ;). Not sure how he managed to slip my mind...thanks Jazz. I think I may have been going stir crazy trying to think of someone. It's much harder when all your books are packed away in boxes :(.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

What writer most inspires you?

6. Sethiss

Sethiss New Member

Honestly I'm a huge fan of Wilde's poems, prose and short stories. But as he was mostly revered as a story teller rather than a writer, I'm left a bit out of sorts. I was looking more for a long standing writer who was innovative and has captured literary attention of a wide array of people over a long time, such as Dumas or Hugo etc.

7. CodyBlue

CodyBlue New Member

I was just messing around. I meant no ill will.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

can't go wrong with poe for either prose or poesy!

9. Cacian

Cacian Banned

well unless you say what your story is about then any book is worthy.
    It depends on what you are writing and what you are looking for.
    You need to narrow down to the topic and the genre and you have not given any clues.

10. Sethiss

Sethiss New Member

None taken Cody :).

Cacian, the subject of the author is more back story than prominent to the story or its progression itself. I don't really think any of what I'm writing needs to be implemented to the question as it is irrelevant to the story and can by itself be conveyed as a separate, conversational question. I'm not really sure how to narrow it down more than a large literary persona in history who swayed the masses, continuing to today. Someone I guess who redefined or took story telling in the written word to a new level. As most of the genre of classical or any older writers were either fiction of some sort or histories, I would prefer fiction.

I guess another way to phrase the question (and probably the better) would be, who in your opinion has had the largest influence on the written word of fiction?

11. CodyBlue

CodyBlue New Member

Lovecraft or Jules vern

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Charles Dickens. 'Nuff said.

13. Prolixitasty

Prolixitasty New Member

All these names have been considered great. We can all more or less agree based on our craft if not through our bias that the majority of names put forth have and will always be considered great. However, that being said, anytime someone asks me who I believe to be worthy of a "great" title, I consider the present, and in doing so rather make a suggestion as to who we may add to the list of greats. I believe Junot Diaz, the author of The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao, and Drown, is certainly one of the great contemporary writers of today.

14. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

J.R.R.Tolkien

15. Sethiss

Sethiss New Member

I do agree, it is hard to choose from a pool of so many older talented writers. The choice not made simple by the fact I love a lot of their work and can't choose a favourite. However I haven't heard of Junot Diaz. Might have to check them out after reading my current 5 or so books :p. I always love discovering new writers, thanks for the tip!