Tags:
  1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

The Gaming Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Kratos, Jan 12, 2009.

Due to some random glitch/hack, my previous Gaming Thread has been deleted. So, without further ado, I bring you back the Gaming Thread, along with one of my questions.

After finally realizing that aside from a few rare gems (SSBB, Zelda, Metroid, RE4) the Wii is really for casuals, I've finally decided to switch over to the 360 (still working on convincing my mom to let me get another gaming system). In the (hopefully) probable chance that I get a 360, I'm planning on buying the Arcade version and buying a 20gb HDD from ebay/amazon. I already have Mass Effect from a friend, and I plan to get Halo 3, COD4, and Gears of War. Soul Calibur IV, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed look cool as well. What other games should I get (I don't like GTA or Oblivion) and is the Arcade with HDD deal good? I plan on playing online.

Thanks.

2. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

The Orange Box. Portal is cool. :)

Um...don't get Gears of War...worse, worse, worse game on the planet. I call it Crap of War.

You should get Too Human....mmmm awesomeness

Beautiful Katamari is cool too.

Boger likes this.
  3. Prophetian

Prophetian New Member

Falllout 3 if you want to get addicted to a game for 4 days, and afterwards discard it like yesterdays news.

Although one must keep in mind, that yesterdays news can be kept in your mind for a few more days to come...

4. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Also Silent Hill Homecoming

5. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

On the other side, I've met people raving on and on about how bad Too Human was, and that how could they have come up with THAT in 10 years. The shooting system is supposed to be really bad, too.

I don't have Gears of Wars, never really liked the style so I haven't played it. CoD and Halo are the most solid shooter the 360 has, and they're on the opposing sides on the realism vs gameplay spectrum of FPSs.

Oh, and I wanted to mention one of the best shooters I've played (by who other than valvE) LEFT 4 DEAD!!! It is awesome! Especially in PC, but it is still good on 360. There are a ton of custom maps already. I want to take on map making for source games, but I'm waiting to for a week off from school to do it.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Crap of War? Unimaginative, but it does seem like every other shooter ever. And Too Human is a waste of time. Seriously.

No. After about Silent Hill 3, they have all be useless.

Assassin's Creed seems like a really good one, and I'm definitely getting that. COD4 is amazing, and Bioshock I've heard no end of good things about. Seems like you're onto a winner with that list :)

7. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

The real name I call it is inappropriate for the internet.
    Be lucky I don't use the real word I use for Crap of War.
    It's bad, real bad name.

Edit: Bioshock is the greatest FPS ever.

8. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Too Human is a love it/hate it game. You'll either praise it amazingly well or hate it's guts for wasting your money. It's not for everyone. You really need to be able to look past it's massive list of annoying shortcomings to have any fun with it. Some people can live with that, some can't. I think it's okay if you're into dungeon looters and character customization.

Assassin's Creed is good, but has no replayability. Once you've gone through it once you may never touch it again. A definite rent and maybe a buy if you think you could play it more than once.

9. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Banzai, seeing the style of gameplay you prefer, I believe it is best that you stay away from Assassin's Creed. The game was a real let down for me. Albeit fun for a while, it is wholly repetitive. Additionally, what is there of the story is lacking and simply uninspiring—then Ubisoft snips it when there is an inkling of excitement because they want "moar monies".

Perhaps you can try the new Prince of Persia instead? I have yet to play it, but I think it would be the better choice. If you insist on getting Assassin's Creed, wait until the second installment of the trilogy. Then, everything will be fresh in your head; the game will be cheaper; and you'll be able to experience more of the story. In fact, you can probably beat the entire thing by renting.

10. Banzai

I loved the old Prince of Persia, the Sands of Time trilogy. They've ruined it with the new one though. It's gone all ****ty and anime. Was Assassin's Creed that much of a let down? I'd heard it was similar to the older Prince of Persia games...

Thanks for the heads up, chocolate bear.

11. Banzai

The death cinematic, and the protagonist's inability to get a chuffing move on lost it for me, I'm afraid. So frustratring!

12. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Well, to respond to some of these.

I have the Orange Box for PC and it's like my favorite game ever.

Gears of War really looks awesome, but I won't know until I try it. I actually tend to agree with the vast majority of reviews; the only game that gets incredible reviews that I don't like as much is any Grand Theft Auto game, along with Oblivion. I guess I just like JRPGs better than WRPGs (although KotOR is awesome).

My friend has Assassin's Creed, and he's probably finished it, so maybe I can buy it from him (I've bought games from him before).

I've played Too Human at a friends house: I wasn't impressed.

13. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

The new PoP is good for me. my only massive complaints are the horrible combat system, repetitive level design, and the the game is just way too easy.

KoTOR was awesome. I can't wait to take a look at The Old Republic. I might even actually be tempted to pay a monthly fee for it! It had the best blend of WRPG character customization and a strong story.

14. adamant

That is a problem with trying a new art direction—some people will love it, others will hate it. I have no problem with it, and think it's nice to see them try something different as it's usually the smaller studios that take such risks.

It may take a few hints from the POP series, given it is the same developing studio, but it was a failure in my book. The places are wide and highly detailed; and the controls are actually quite a nice asset.

That said, there are few types of missions: eavesdropping (can't believe they make you get on a bench and listen to someone speaking), interrogation, pick pocketing, saving random citizens, climbing towers to access view points to open the map, and finding an informer and killing people in return for intelligence.

Furthermore, there are no puzzles. It's almost a hack-and-slash game... with a cloaked guy in an assassin's guild during the Middle Ages riding around on a horse. Just do the aforementioned missions, and try not to get caught when you get a bit bored and start killing random people. At least, I always tended to do that. Haha. After you earn enough information on your target, you get to assassinate someone. If you're not careful enough, you'll have to run around avoiding/killing the sentries until you can get away with murder. Repeat eight more times.

It's no problem, Bambi.

15. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

No what ruined this new game was the infentite ways you died.
    You died to much.
    It felt like they suddenly wanted the aspect of the characters to be the girl who saves you.
    And so many times did you die and think how the hell did that happened. It was only a small gap.
    And the boss were beyond inferioriting, especially with the unresponsive camera.

16. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Well, if I get it from my friend it should be cheap. I've played it at his house and it was awesome.

17. Banzai

Heh. Takes me right back :p

18. adamant

Yeah, but a lot of things have changed: you've become a super moderator, you've entered a university, you've found yourself a girlfriend. However, one thing will never change: you still never write anything. Haha.

Oh, and video games are good. (So I'm not off-topic.)

19. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

has anyone had the chance to play mirrors edge?

20. Xeno

Xeno Mad and Bitey Contributor

No, but Yahtzee loaths it. In that respect, NO!

21. Kratos

Kratos New Member

What doesn't Yahtzee loath? If I was a video game reviewer, I'd be the opposite, pointing out the good in bad games instead of the bad in good games.

22. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I wanna play Little Big Planet so bad!

23. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

me too along with all the other PS3 games that have not made their way to the PC. i wonder what the chances of Resident evil 5 getting a port later on...

24. Banzai

But the thing is, everything he says about games is true.

25. apathykills

apathykills New Member

Yahtzees reviews aren't meant to be taken seriously; it's more for laughs then anything else.

I'm making a tiger level, it's got big tigers, small tigers, jumping tigers, fire tigers, lightning tigers and a boss tiger.

I'm 22 years old and i'm making a tiger level.

God i love that game :)