1. Runelord13

Runelord13 New Member

Military for fantasy novel

Discussion in 'Research' started by Runelord13, Nov 12, 2013.

well like i said millitary, well i need (for my novel of course) a history of all the medieval fighting techniques and all the swords you could get in medieval times.
    thx

2. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

So you made your account just to leech information from people here instead of actually doing reseearch yourself? Your fantasy novel is already worth nothing. A writer must do research himself, not just come and demand from strangers just because that might be simpler.
    Wikipedia is your friend.

3. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I actually suggest you get a book, called Fighting Techniques of the Medieval World. It's fantastic, fully-illustrated in vibrant colours, and packed with information on what you need. It's helped me; I'm sure it'll help you.

I have no idea if you can get the book in Australia, but the book is a dark blue, if you want to search for it. Hope this helps you. :)

4. Njal

Njal New Member

Youtube will also be a good guide. Plenty of sword-fighting examples, including interesting scandinavian sword and shield techniques.

Bare in mind that if your fantasy novel is about individual combatants, rather than large scale combat with formations/shield walls etc, then different styles of fighting will be used.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

google is your best friend... wikipedia alone should never be relied upon as a trusted source...

Cogito likes this.
  6. Runelord13

Runelord13 New Member

thanks guys, ill try what you've told me.
    have a good day XD

7. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

True, but it is not always you know what to google. So if you just open "Sword" in wikipedia it'll give you a good collection of stuff, then you could google or open the sources listed on the bottom if the information does not sate what you looked for

8. L.T.

L.T. New Member

There are a lot of places to research on the web and in books, but Wikipedia is a good start. Like Albirich said, you can find other resources at the bottom of the Wikipedia entries.

9. TLK

TLK Active Member

Yep, good wiki-fu is to find something you'd want to use on Wikipedia then follow the appropriate reference to see if it's origin looks trustworthy or not. Chances are, if you're on a fairly main page like "sword", then most of the links will be trustworthy. "Scandinavian fighting goats", not so much.