1. D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts New Member

How about a section to post Queries for critique?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by D.T.Roberts, Jan 31, 2011.

Query writing is such an improtant and difficult art to master, It would benifit everyone if there was a section in the review room just for that. 'QueryShark' has wonderful information but the chances of having your query posted are slim.
    Just a suggestion.
    Thanks

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

A synopsis/query section would be useful if only to be able to see how people approach it. I finally have the hang of it thanks to a wonderful literary agent and having joined the British Writers Award they are very clear about the synopsis and what they want to see. Writers and Artists Yearbook 2011 (in the UK) has some great tips as well.

3. The Degenerate

The Degenerate Active Member

Query Shark is brilliant. If you read a bunch of the queries on that site and Janet Reid's responses, you'll know what you're doing when you write your own.

4. D.T.Roberts

D.T.Roberts New Member

Agreed. Janet is great. I have already made dramatic improvements to mine, but an outside opinion still helps.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

What's wrong with the non-fiction section of the Review Room?

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I was just about to post one, but experience has shown they tend to get lost in non fiction. It is less frequented than some of the other boards.

7. Heather Munn

Heather Munn New Member

I think this is a great idea. I used the Evil Editor blog to refine my query, but Evil Editor him/herself only comments once, and the comments of the other responders are of varying usefulness... some people are more interested in commenting on the plot than on the query, and it can lead an unsuspecting querier to end up with a page of plot summary instead of a query.

Seems to me this would be a good place to get good, to-the-point feedback...

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

not a bad idea, actually... the other sites i post on have such a section and it's fairly well used...