1. Fitzroy Zeph

Fitzroy Zeph Contributor Contributor

Are you a dabbler?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fitzroy Zeph, Dec 15, 2014.

Are you the type of person that can't help but try new things? Maybe you're writer one day, a photographer the next, wood worker, scientist? Does it drive you crazy being without enough time to be everywhere and doing everything you want to on any given day?

2. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

I'd give you a comprehensive answer, but I'm too busy doing other things.:D

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

I'm even worse...I'm the kind of guy who'll think about mowing the lawn...right after I've thought about painting the shed.

4. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

As an INTP... OMFG YES.

Fitzroy Zeph likes this.
  5. AccidentalHermit

AccidentalHermit New Member

Is that an INTP thing? For a while I wanted to be an artist and maybe make a webcomic or something (because I read way too many for my own good) but I had no ideas for stories but then one day a flash of inspiration hit me and now I really want to write a novel:confused:

6. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

According to the psychological model that defines INTP and the other personality types, extraverted intuition is the cognitive function responsible for the desire to dabble. That makes _N_P people prone to dabbling, especially EN_P.

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

My mum always said that I'm "hot for three minutes" - it's a Chinese saying, which essentially means I get really into something really quickly, and then that passion fizzles out equally quickly. My parents bought me a keyboard after I was all obsessed with it - and then I went off it within one month. I took the piano for one year and never practiced any piece. I had a variety of small pets, none of which I looked after (dad looked after them until they all died of various causes, all due to my neglect to be honest). I took up acting for several weeks before I quit. I nearly tried to learn the violin lol.

The only thing I've stuck to: art, writing, and I recently took up singing, which I've carried on. My love of Japanese and desire to improve my Chinese has also stayed with me. My desire to try studying Art Therapy hasn't left me either, but that's a rather expensive experiment, so I wouldn't indulge in that desire until and unless I ever get motivated enough to actually read around the subject, which hasn't happened yet.

Basically, these days I never act on my first impulse anymore, cus I know it'll probably fizzle out in a few weeks. If in a year or two's time the desire's still there, then I know it's something I should consider and can trust lol.

8. Lae

Lae Contributor Contributor

@Mckk cool, you're an artist! any examples of your work?

I like to try a lot of things, it's broadening your horizons i guess. I'm not sure about the fizzle out thing, i like to be the best i can be at whatever i try so i usually practice enough until im satisfied and then i move on. Does that count?

9. Adenosine Triphosphate

Adenosine Triphosphate Member Contributor

I jump from one idea to the next very rapidly. It's why I have no difficulty drafting a short story, but I struggle to write anything over twenty or thirty pages long.