1. Rhipsime Rose

Rhipsime Rose Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Little Life- Hanya Yanagihara

Need help describing a song

Discussion in 'Research' started by Rhipsime Rose, Jan 13, 2019.

Hello!

My name is Rhipsime and I am an avid writer! Now, I have been writing as long as I can remember, and I've tackled many scenes and elements, but I am completely stumped by this. I am trying to describe a song, but it is a very specific song (and is orchestral), so I can't generalize what I am describing. I will link the song below. How would you people describe this song? What are some suggestions?

The song:

Thank you!

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Tense, dark, fast paced, ramping up, with a tense mournful undertone/overtone.

Rhipsime Rose likes this.
  3. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Describe it to whom and for what purpose?

First, I didn't listen to it so keep that in mind.

If you want to describe it to readers because you are a music critic then consider comments like what @cavetroll said.

If you want to describe it as part of a novel then you are taking a big risk. Are you trying to describe what a character is hearing? Then why this specific song. If I as a reader never heard the song, the description is meaningless to me. But if it has to do with the plot then why be so specific with the song as opposed to the feelings the character has when HE hears the song. You can't describe a song to me if I am reading your story. If it is a well known song then you can say "Jingle Bells plays in the background as so and so enters the room". But if it doesn't matter what the song is for us to know what the character is feeling then just describe that "so and so listens to music that is tense, dark, fast paced, ramping up, with a tense mournful undertone/overtone", to borrow from cavetroll.

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. Rhipsime Rose

Rhipsime Rose Active Member

Currently Reading::
    A Little Life- Hanya Yanagihara
    Yeah, I wouldn't say I'm a music critic but a music reviewer, but I liked what cavetroll said.

5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Well there you are... if you are reviewing the song then you have to describe it. But not in a novel.