Tags:
  1. Norahc

Norahc New Member

Intro to a fine group

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Norahc, Oct 29, 2019.

I've been writing curriculum and academic papers for many years. Although I've always had, in the back of my mind, the idea of writing a novel. I try to learn one new thing each year of my life. This year I chose fiction writing. Oh, my, what a completely new endeavor. I love seeing the creation come to life. It is fascinating to see characters and plot develop a life of their own. I do believe I'm hooked on fiction. As of October, I'm 50k words into a 70k to 90k fantasy sci-fi novel. There is time travel so I think it is Sci-fi, but also Greek and Scandinavian gods or spiritual beings. Good to be here.

Tralala, Some Guy and EFMingo like this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Norahc

I'm one of the forum moderators here, and I want to welcome you to the forum. And I'd like to agree that making the transition between academic writing and purely creative writing is one of the most pleasurable things a person can do. But it's not easy. In many ways, you are unlearning as well as learning. But if you're a great reader and lover of fiction, that helps. You kinda know when you've hit that sweet spot with your writing, and you can watch academia vanishing in the rear view mirror. Ya beauty!

One of the best things is that your academic writing will actually improve as well. It doesn't have to be as dry as it sometimes can be.

Anyway, as you find your feet here on the forum, please read these two links.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

They'll help you get oriented, and help give you a picture of how we operate here.

This is also a very useful link which (despite its FAQ title) is a forum 'map,' linking you to all areas of the forum. Go ahead and explore the place.
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any problems getting started, feel free to contact me via a 'conversation' (click my owl avatar and follow the signs) and I'll do my best to help.

Meantime, have fun, and let us get to know you. See you around the threads?

Cheers, Jan

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Tralala likes this.
  3. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Hi.

Welcome.

I'm looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

You have a decent chunk of work under your belt already.

4. Norahc

Norahc New Member

Thank you
    I've been looking into writing forums and many of them are all but dead.
    This one seems to have breath.

Tralala likes this.