1. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

The Horse Thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SonnehLee, Apr 9, 2009.

There's been a lot of talk about horses lately, so, now we have our own special thread!

For general chat about horses, breeds, "Whose horse is cuter?" arguments we all know that spits is the cutest..., training tips, and basically anything else equine related.

2. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Hey emily! Yaay a horse thread aha..hmm well Rupes (my horse) is 15 hh and we think he's about 4...I wil post a pic when I get my computer back :D

3. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

i had to sadly let go of my two horses, but my step-sis has them(no not the wicked one) one was a Morgan, the other an Appoloosa(one of the smoothest riding horses i've ever had the pleasure to ride.

4. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

I'll need your help when i move to the country (which where we want to go has TONNES of small mountain/hilltops forhorse riding) And like everything....the misses wants at least one horse ...

I'm a sucker for palomino's.

5. SonnehLee

My momma horse is a buckskin palomino. I love them. She wasn't the horse I wanted in the beginning, but, I love her.

6. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Have you had horses all your life then emily?

7. SonnehLee

Not all my life. We've had them since I moved to Tennessee. I've been around horses for most of my life, though.

My first horse was Genesis, whom we bought at an auction. He was incredibly gentle and a great first horse. Though not at first. When we got him he was badly abused, and we spent the first three months trying to get him healthy.
    [​IMG]

Then, about a year later, we got a phone call about a paint colt named Sunshine whose owner was moving to Florida and needed to get rid of this colt fast. We bought "him" on the spot. Over the next couple weeks, we learned that he wasn't a paint, and that "he" was a she. We called her Baby Horse for so long that we couldn't come up with another name.
    [​IMG]

Fast forward a long time, and my dad bought me Butter while he was in Iraq. Butter was extremely head shy, but other than that, was an all around good horse. I spent about a year trying to cure her headshyness successfully, and now, all is well.
    [​IMG]

Then we had the babies. And, I think you know that part.

8. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Oh my god, those are such lovely pictures!!

Whoosh you have an interesting horsey 'history' then :)
    Ive been riding on and off since I was 9...I wouldn't say I was terrible, but I can be pretty useless sometimes, lol! You know some people are 'naturals' in the saddle? Well I'm not heh!

9. SonnehLee

ha, Soph, I haven't even started with the horses I rode with my ex. Lol

And I'm not a natural in the saddle either. I'm really not one for balance at all.

1 person likes this.
  10. rory

rory Active Member

lol, Speedy, I hope you know that it's nearly impossible to own just 'one' horse. I think five is a nice number, don't you? :D
    And palominos, the blonds of the equine world. They are gorgeous, especially the dappled ones, but I'll stick with my mud coloured horse. Easier to keep clean!

Castlesofsand, my mare is part appy, but spotless. She is like riding a couch.

Good call on the thread Emily!

[​IMG]

11. SonnehLee

Love the picture!

12. NoName

NoName New Member

I had a horse & a pony but, unfortunately I had to sell them

Saint was my little baby, I got her at a time when I was suffering from depression & before she came to live with me, she wasn't in the best condition so we helped to heal each other. I miss her greatly but in my heart she will always be mummy's girl :)

Some Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. NoName

NoName New Member

I thought I'd post some pics of the pony I used to have as well. His name was Dexter & he was a pure bred Australian pony. We got him when he was 18 months old, mainly as a companion for Saint seeing as though he was too small for me to ride. He was always making me laugh & the name 'Dexter' suited him perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. SonnehLee

Gorgeous horses, NoName. I especially love your paddock. Very pretty, looks like it'd be fun to ride, too?

Eventually, I'll post pictures of my trail. =]

15. SonnehLee

Which leads me to a question:

Where do you ride and how often?

16. NoName

NoName New Member

I used to just ride around the property(we had over 14 acres) but since I sold the horses I've just been going on trail rides & stables. I have not been for a ride in a while though cause the place I liked going to closed down & there isn't really anywhere else to ride around here.

17. SonnehLee

Ah, no fun. There is only one trail riding stable near me, and I've only been once. It was a lovely experience.

I am blessed with good neighbors. There is about a 20 mile trail that starts on my neighbors property, and I get to ride it as I please. It's incredibly fun, even if I've never traveled the full trail.

18. sophie.

sophie. New Member

I'm a baad person :p I ride like 2 or 3 times a week..and if I ride 3 times that's good, for me! Lol though in the holidays I do a bit more.

I go on hacks, all round, depending on my mood.., I go in the school sometimes but I don't do a proper discipline; just a few small jumps maybe.

Oh and emily aha my balance isn't what you'd call great either - nor my hands..nor my seat phaha. When my friend gave me a lesson I felt sorry for her. Typical few minutes: 'hands still..STILL..ok stop moving your hands...try and lower his head..HANDS..um..yeah just don't let him do that...no not that way..lower your hands...still hands..errr'

She can just get on her horse and they;ll go off in a perfect outline. Me, not so much, and he has a martingale..oohh dear

Rant over :p

19. SonnehLee

You do more than I do. I don't do any specific discipline. I just ride :D Purely for entertainment purposes.

20. sophie.

sophie. New Member

- emily - same! I would never-ever-ever compete, even if my horse was up to it, in my view riding is just for fun and relaxing (though let's face it when I ride it is rarely relaxing for me or Dupes...) aha

21. SonnehLee

hahaha, we like to pretend it's relaxing.

Genesis, who died last March :(, was so easy going you could lay down on his back and take a nap. He would just graze and ignore you completely.

22. sophie.

sophie. New Member

^Ahhh...now I haven't ever met a horse like that! If you even move too fast around Dupes he jumps a foot in the air...and don't even think of trying to touch him from the ground when he's being ridden...but he may have been mistreated when young so you know, maybe there's a reason for his craziness.

23. SonnehLee

Huh. Strange. Genesis was abused as well, but he was always incredibly calm unless you had a switch or anything mildly resembling a switch. Then he'd go ballistic.

24. sophie.

sophie. New Member

Aha yeh, whips are no-go as well
    I would love him to be calm..thinking that's gona take years aha

25. SonnehLee

It just might. ;)