1. wolferz

wolferz New Member

Older man taking Young Girl to Bathroom?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by wolferz, Dec 27, 2008.

I have an idea to write about, tho it doesn't really fall into a specific category of story yet. This is just a small part of a much larger relationship between two characters. (I was thinking a romantic relationship OR the girl having an infatuation with the man)

How acceptable or likely is it for this scenerio to happen: A teenage girl has to pee badly with her family members and also an older male family friend (maybe an old teacher, or a retired doctor). But the ladies' room is too long of a line and the male friend allows the girl to enter the men's room with him. He uses the urinal while she uses the stall.

Is that even ok in American culture? And do you think it could make for an intereresting start to a romantic relationship?

(Last idea...I was thinking maybe at the end the man would be surprised by how long she took to pee because he could obviously hear it. And perhaps him say "Oh my, you weren't kidding when you said you had to go")

2. othman

othman New Member

Well, it's perfectly acceptable, nothing wrong about it...although I don't think it could be the thing which starts a romantic relationship. Because I mean it's fair enough that happening but how would that start a relationship never mind a romantic one! Although this is just my opinion but I think something quite drastic would have to happen inside the mens' room for a teenager to start to fancy an older man especially if they're retirement age.

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

It's perfectly normal in France for women to use the men's room, in fact often there is no ladies'/men's, but in the US... hmmn... I would be expecting something slightly sleezy out of this if I came across it in a novel.

You said there was a group of people, why doesn't one other woman come with her to the men's if it's empty? It's like the man is singling the girl out--gets the reader thinking he has designs of some sort on her.

As for the comment, it's inappropriate I'd say for a girl over the age of about 10. The whole situation would be much more normal if she was younger, everyone knows kids can't wait. Or if she had a medical condition like cystitis which meant she had to go, which a doctor might know about.

4. March301

March301 New Member

Yeah, in American culture it'd be seen as pretty edgy. When I saw the post title I had to click on it because I was like, "Wait, wha-- why?" And once you explained it to me, it seemed fine. It's still kind of weird, but I think if it's written well (maybe even with some humor) I'd be intrigued enough to keep reading and to see what's going to happen with these characters.

5. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I suppose the girl might be a little edgy, but people I know use the other bathroom all the time if it's convenient.

6. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Maybe the reason he let her into the bathroom was because he liked her legs and was trying to get hotshots of her legs while using the restroom.
    That could spark a romantic relationship, maybe she likes his a$$ and is trying to get some hotshots of that as well.
    I could see this happening, its an interesting idea.

7. Adelaide

Adelaide New Member

Though not as common as in other place, women will use the men's bathroom if they really have to go. BUT, in this situation I think most girls (including myself) would feel very awkward going with an older man that wasn't someone she was close to to the bathroom, especially if he could hear them pee. Silly, I know, but this is what I believe the majority of girls would feel. You would have to establish your character as an extremely forward, confident, unique-minded person if this was the start of a romantic relationship, because otherwise it would be perceived as a huge inconsistency.