1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

My contemporary Heroine story/'UK Asian Buffy The Vampire Slayer'

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Bobby Burrows, Oct 26, 2018.

So, IDK, my baby project could already be shut down by whoever owns Buffy, no?
    I mean, teenage vampire slaying heroines?..
    Mine are a family of vampire hunters where the special superpower is hereditary.

I hit a problem writing this up tonight, a problem that made me delete the whole paragraph and come here...

I want the Heroine, Nikita, to be born in 2000, and raised by people old enough to be adults in 1972.
    I'm thinking... I'm a generation behind there.

But I want Nikita Petal's parental figures be Aayu & Pal Petal, who fled to the UK from Uganda in 1972 when fleeing Idi Amen's regime which was harder than Vampires in Uganda they were chasing at the time because, this was people.
    So they fled in 1972, so I think, they'd have to be Nikita's grandparents, and, maybe, a vampire killed Nikita's parents in Croydon and Nikita was raised by her grandparents who have a small shop in Thornton Heath and Nikita is a British teen having to deal with old school parents and pressure to marry and fighting off would be husbands who she doesn't like, as well as vampires, as well as help out in the family business.

Think this means I'm going to have to make this Vampire Slaying Teen raised by her Grandparents with no parents who are missing presumed dead, most likely cause of death; Vampire.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Bobby Burrows

I guess it's a Gujarati family who had to flee India during the Indian diaspora, and went to Uganda, settled in chasing vampires, then were pressured out and so came to London, and Nikita, though a Vampire Hunting Patel, is British, and maybe her UK born parents would understand, but instead, thankfully but tragically, she was raised by her Grandparents, who are a little bit more old school and trying to get Nikita a nice young Indian husband, preferably from another respected Gujarati family.

I want to aim this at the family market.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

May I direct you to a thread I started about originality? ;)

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/two-thoughts-on-originality-one-old-and-one-new.156163/

Sounds like the problem is solved then :)

Also,

I loved this so much when I read it in Veronica Schanoes novella Burning Girls – a family of exorcists living in Poland had successfully defended their family against a demon in the backstory, but then had to flee to America to escape the Cossacks – and I love reading it here all over again.

Please, use this :)

Though may I also recommend Writing With Color as a resource for studying how the story would be impacted by the characters being from India?

4. Bobby Burrows

You mean justify violence and killing Vampires to a vegetarian?..
    Wheel out destiny and chosen ones and prophecies and duties, and Vampires being bad.

So they have to kill them, were chosen by God (not sure what God yet), but an all powerful mystic force and energy that'll tie in with the setting of Halloween all year round.

5. Bobby Burrows

I'm white, but, I'd like to think that, a UK person of any colour, in Thornton Heath, where I live and plan to set this, all knows what cornrows are, White Black and Asian etc.

I mean, it's going to be set in a black neighbourhood in South London anyway, but that's just because I'm from a black neighbourhood in South London, so, expect a lot of Jamaican food, and since it's set in South London, expect chicken shops too, especially since we're talking South London teenager here; which is who my Heroine will be.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  6. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Uh, what? :confused:

I was thinking it might turn out to be a little bit further-reaching than just the names of hairstyles.

DK3654 likes this.
  7. Bobby Burrows

I want the grandparents to be Vampire Hunters of this generation and circumstance

and this is what bought this Vampire hunting family to the UK, and now they fight vampires in the UK and Nikita is a typical UK Asian teen except for the fact that she's also a vampire hunter and she lives with her grandparents.

8. Bobby Burrows

This seems like a thing to research in terms of ages and dates and facts.

9. Bobby Burrows

Yeah, that link of yours was a world away from where I'm coming from with this.
    Guess it's a UK thing I'm aiming for, allbeit a UK Asian thing, still a British teen in Thornton Heath who's family owns a shop/the family business.
    Like a corner shop either an Off License or News Agents.

10. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

As long as she doesn't eat them, you're fine :superlaugh:
    I think it's a great story :superagree:

Bobby Burrows likes this.