1. Needz

Needz New Member

Subtle Action to Profound Impact

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Needz, Jul 25, 2011.

One of my characters positively influences people in WHATEVER he does. People are happier after meeting him and little nuggets of perspective come across in what he says to people and people very often find themselves having revelations after speaking with him.

Can anyone think of examples of subtle ways in which someone can influence a life?

I think keeping a sunny perspective in spite of bad news is an example.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

How about the man who gives up his seat on a bus for a bag lady without being asked. A young boy sees this act of kindness and learns from it. The lad grows up to become an influential humanitarian.

3. ShatteredHopes

ShatteredHopes Member

Giving his shoes to someone who doesn't have any or saying hi to someone that looks like they have been unnoticed?

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Happens on a daily basis in Prague - it's actually rubbed off on me to the point where now I'm home in the UK, I naturally feel inclined to do that even here. I mean, us Brits do it from time to time - but the Czechs, even little 8-year-olds do it, and it's long before the old/pregnant/mothers falling over under 3 toddlers even got on the tram! And I'm not talking just one - but like 3-4 people would rush to stand up at the same time.

Anyway, to the OP - forgive me but personally, your character sounds like the world's most annoying character. However, if you're looking for inspiration, try the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind - probably one of the worst ever writers with characters whose blandness is comparable to Twilight's - BUT it does contain the MC who inspires revolutions and bouts of courage and bravery and inspires hope in all mankind.

It's so overdone that the end of his 9th novel finished with the following sentence: "If Richard (the MC) can't do it, then life isn't worth living."

So sorry, I have a kinda bad allergy against this sorta character after that.

5. Needz

Needz New Member

He's not a main character, but it is almost quite literally a 'god walks among us' situation.

6. jgm2089

jgm2089 New Member

a heavenly overseer...sounds interesting but why not do two perspectives see how an evil entity has negative effects on people and stick with your original idea and see how they coincide with each other

i dont know...food for thought i guess