1. Krystle Robison

Krystle Robison New Member

New here have a question about POV..

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Krystle Robison, Aug 11, 2012.

Would it be appropriate if wrote the first chapter or maybe as a prologue in first person and the rest of the novel in third person. I'm kind of struggling with this because i haven't seen this done in books I've personally read really so was just wondering if it was something that wasn't generally accepted. I have a hard time writing the whole thing in first person because I like the overall view of third person but the first chapter or whatever it would be is an important step to character development for the main character and her struggles.

Thanks

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's not a great choice. It has been done, but the two voices have a very different "feel."

3. Murkie

Murkie Active Member

Currently Reading::
    Rhythm of War - Brando Sando & Rebel's Creed - Daniel B Greene
    I actually just started reading James Herbert's The Dark again recently and he does exactly this. The prologue is in 1st person and italics, the 1st chapter changes to a 3rd person POV in a new scene involving different characters and the 2nd chapter rejoins the MC from the prologue - this time in 3rd person and some time after the events of the prologue.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

What is there in 1st person that you cannot do in 3rd person? You can develop your character and show insight into your MC's struggle all the same. 1st person is fun but it's pretty hard to write I must say - it's not just a matter of replacing "he/she" with an "I" and if your personal preference is 3rd person, I'd say try and stick with 3rd person cus it'd come to you more naturally. Or practise 1st person before you embark on your novel with 1st person.

But what is the point of writing a prologue in 1st person just to switch into 3rd person for the rest of the book? What's the purpose?

5. Krystle Robison

I decided to go with the 3rd person but the purpose was i wanted a more emotional way to show her distraught maybe not even distraught but her overall state of mind in the whole scene...thanks for the help

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I think it's a smashing idea, some of my favourite books are written in that way. What I find exceptionally effective is with detective novels, when the first chapter or a prologue is written from a first person POV of the victim or the perpetrator, and the rest of the book is in third person limited, with usually 2-3 other POVs (detective, sidekick, love interest or something of the sort).

Even sometimes a few short chapters throughout the book can be written in first person (same character as from the first chapter or prologue), and my personal favourite - when in the published book the villain's chapters are written in all italics :) It really adds to the creep-factor and the very distinction between the flavours of first and third person POVs help emphasise the separation between good and evil.

What I am trying to say is that as far as POV is concerned, as long as it is consistent throughout he scene (and for me, preferably, the chapter), you can mix and match them to most closely represent the story in your head.

7. Boshuda

Boshuda New Member

Check out Don Delillo's Underworld. He starts in second person for a lengthy prologue, then switches to first person - and I can't remember, he may even switch to third person later in the novel. Also, the prologue of the novel - which runs for 60 pages or so - may be the best thing I've ever read.

8. Krystle Robison

Now that i have it written entirely done in 3rd person i just liked it written much better in first person, maybe once i get enough post posted and what not to unlock the writers workshop ill post the beginning of each