1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

I am cursed

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Charisma, Dec 31, 2007.

I'm writing a story where the hero is the meanest and most insensitive man on Earth. Though he's not psychopathic or anything, he's pretty bad. Now the outcomes of writing with devotion.
    I've unconsciously started to copy his attributes and actions. And I act really rude sometimes and my friends simply stare at me as if I've lost it. Overcoming my sudden insensitivity is no big, I can do it, but then I can't feel the urge to write about it anymore. If I do this thing long enough, I think my mom will send me to a mental asylum. :p Any advice on how not to copy my character and yet write about him?

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Anthraxx,

Your characters are fiction. Made up. They are not you, nor are you them. Remind yourself of that and you shouldn't have any difficulty keeping your actions separate from those of the fictitious characters in your writing.

If you can't do that and still manage to write, then consider finding some other activity to get involved in until you can.

At least that's how I see it and my advice.

Terry

3. CharlieTheUnicorn13

CharlieTheUnicorn13 New Member

Somewhere in this universe... Is there some reason
    I understand how you feel. I often feel like the characters I'm writing about. I once created a crazy psychopath character (who had some serious anger management issues) and I noticed that I was beginning to act a lot like her (Feeling mischievous, easily angered, snappy and rude.) To solve this problem, I took a break I just stopped writing that story for a while. When I came back to it, I started to act like her again. So after I wrote about her, I wrote about something nice and pleasant in a seperate document, and I think it worked out pretty well. And as TWErvin2 said, your characters are not you, and you are not them. Just remember that. I hope I helped. :)

4. Charisma

Hmm...I hate everybody. I HATE EVERYBODY!
    ;)
    Thanks for the tips. They...might help.

5. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Well, what you really need to do is write about some successful and super rich. See if you're still complaining when you emulate that.

Otherwise, try writing from a more distant perspective. Think of the things that would make this character live up to being the "meanest and most insensitive man on Earth" if you saw that person on the street. I imagine it would be easier to still have a moral view towards his actions. In addition, you said the character was a hero, if you're referring to the traditional sense, what is it that is good in him? and what made him the way he is?

6. Charisma

I don't get you. Are you saying I write about someone who is successful and super rich? If so, the one thing I'll clarify here is that I don't do more than one project of writing at a given moment. Otherwise I can't do it. Delicate brain I have :p.

Zeh pointes. The problem with this comes out when I do see it as morally acceptable in some way. And I guess that's an excuse for my unconscious. But anyhow, let me try that.

Well, nothing is good in him, as such, except that he's a vegetarian maybe - and he hasn't gone as far as to kill the people he dislikes. Other than that, he lies, he cheats, he drinks, he swears, he insults, blah blah blah - oh yeah he's handsome.
    Well, it's a childhood tragedy which has made him so, but will that solve my problem? *Thinks of my own childhood tragedies* The only tragedy I remember is the ice-cream I dropped on the floor.

7. BertReynaldz

BertReynaldz New Member

makes me want to start a story or create some characters and throw some of my traits onto one or two or them.
    I may have to start something.
    (I havent been writing much lately.)