1. jtingx

jtingx New Member

"Thanks" button

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by jtingx, Aug 31, 2008.

I was just thinking. Instead of having to thank people by repping them, there could be a "thanks" button?

It could be something that someone helped you, and you want to give that person recognition. But that help does not really warrant a rep point, or you cannot give a rep point as you are only a junior member (like me).

It would look something like this:
    The Button
    [​IMG]

Thanked xx Times in xx posts - Reflects how many times people have thanked you for a certain post (reflects on how much each of your posts helped others.)
    [​IMG]

This was something i used frequently on another forum i go to, and i found it quite helpful when people reviewed something that I wrote, said they liked my poem, and keep up the good work, or stuff like that.

It was hard to reply to their posts, all i could say was Thank You. I find that if that is the case, a "Thanks" button could do the trick.

It Would look like that:
    [​IMG]

After all, I think too many "thank you" posts by the author of a thread is counted as spam isn't it? Unless it is in reply to a specific comment and has a purpose.

That's about it. Hope this could be implemented if mods or admins find it a good suggestion. :D

2. Ungood

Ungood New Member

I just found the "rep" button... and I think that is the same idea you are looking for.

3. assassins creed

assassins creed Banned

I would have to agree with jtingx on this one. Too many people use thank you as a reply for reviewing their posts, so this would be a useful suggestion to implement. I think that using this system you could give people 1 or 2 points for their help.

AssassinsCreed

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

It's a lot of work for Daniel, to put in a small feature. And I don't think it's strictly necessary, when we have the reputation system. Even if the rep you're giving doesn't count for any points, it still comes up, and it's still nice to receive the thanks.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

maybe all that's needed is a clear explanation of what the 'rep' button is for, adding that it's a nice 'thank you'... and put somewhere everyone will see it [the explanation, that is]

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could always send a "Thank you" visitor message on the person's profile.

Rep doesn't allow you to thank the same person a couple times in a row.

But adding a Thanks button is not only extra work and page clutter, it kind of cheapens the gestureas well.

7. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

Aye, as Cogito said, it takes little effort yo actually type a few words of thanks, be in on their message board, a PM or on the thread they helped you. It lessons the meaning if you only have to click a button.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have to agree... words speak louder than button clicks!

9. Anthony James Barnett

Anthony James Barnett New Member

I have to agree with Cogito. I think it cheapens. If you want to say thanks, then do it.

Anthony