1. Jeremy Corwin

Jeremy Corwin New Member

Publishing question...

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Jeremy Corwin, Mar 27, 2020.

As of right now I am self published and proud of the fact that at least one of my novels are in readers hands. I have however, had two different publishing houses that have offered me contracts, both of which has asked for money up front. Since I have never dealt with anything like this before, I was hoping that someone on here can tell me if thats normal or if I should just run and never look back.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Umm...I think that it isn't normal, if I remember what
    others have said in the past. Sounds like a couple of
    vanity publishers to me. So yeah, probably shouldn't
    sign anything.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  3. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Run like hell. It's one thing for you to hire an editor, book cover designer, etc., to make your book better. But for any so-called publisher to demand money from you up front--- that's a scam. Value for money is about nil, and as "publisher" they'll own your rights.

Check out this article from the site Writer Beware:
    https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/thumbs-down-publishers/

Are the publishing houses you refer to listed there?

Cave Troll likes this.
  4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

What can the publisher in question do for you that you, as a self-published author has not already done for yourself?

A publisher should not ask money of you. A publisher normally seeks submissions and offers contracts to those manuscripts that they think they can make a profit through selling to readers. Yes, if you are well known as an author, especially in a genre, a publisher might approach you, but I am guessing that isn't the case in this instance.

A publisher should provide editing, cover art, formatting, distribution and marketing. Larger publishers will offer an advance against future royalties (you would have to earn in royalties the amount of your advance through sales of your novel--in all of its forms--via ebook, audiobook, and print). Smaller publishers may not offer an advance, but they do offer on average better royalty percentage. But those publishers do not charge the author any fee, ever. You will be offered a contract that will lay all of this out--and it can be negotiated. If you are not well versed in publishing contracts, it would be wise to consult a literary attorney. There can be clauses in contracts that appear benign, but can actually cause grief over time in an author's career.

Examine the business model of the publisher. If they earn profits from readers buying the books they publish, they are a publisher to consider. If they earn profits through fees to authors they publish, go elsewhere.

5. More

More Active Member

In the long distant past , when life was simple . Writers submited thier manuscript to a publisher . If the publisher believed you manuscript could earn some money , thay would take the manuscript , turn it into a book and send it to book shops , to be sold . The writer would receve about 10 % of the royalties , and the rest would cover costs and profit for the publisher . If you had a book that was considered, by publishers , to be unlikely to make any money . You could go to a vanity publisher . Thay would do some of the things a normal publisher did , but you pay all the exspenses . You would often be responsable for distribution , and publicity . However , after exspenses you keep all the profits . In truth , most writers with vanity publishers make a loss .
    Things are more complex than the past , and some publisher are offering somthing different to the publisher of old . I don't suport the idea that you should put your hands in the air and scream scam, to all the alternatives to a traditional publisher .
    The book trade is a business . Writers are part of the business . You need to work out how you can make money using the avalble resources. I would sugest you study what is on offer .

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    Jeremy Corwin likes this.
  6. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

No legitimate publisher will EVER ask you for money. Ever. It's a scam. They are trying to rip you off. Run away. Money, in traditional publishing, always flows to the author, never ever, ever away. You're dealing with vanity publishing. It's always a scam.

7. KevinMcCormack

KevinMcCormack Senior Member

I'm leaning toward Catrin Lewis' and Cephus' cynicism on this one, but on the other hand, it's incomplete information. I'd want to know more about what they're offering in exchange for this money you're supposed to pay them.

Mods: is is acceptable for Jeremy to name the companies openly in the forum? There may already be a review.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020