1. Ippo

Ippo Member

I'm not scary

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ippo, Nov 6, 2015.

Hey everyone, I'm the newbie here
    Wanted to take a moment and properly introduce myself. I'm a 23 year old amateur writer, guitarist and student of the languages (started with English, German and Spanish this year)
    I like reading but I'm more of a movie guy. My favourites include but are not limited to: Limitless, Big Fish, The Godfather, Shawshank Redemption, Training Day, Matrix, Fight Club, Four Brothers, Django Unchained and Pulp Fiction.
    I used to write songs before I just started taking jabs at beginning and, hopefully, finishing actual stories.
    My hobbies are a pretty standard list of going out with friends, watching series and the likes.

I'm here because I want to believe that I can elevate my writing at some point through exercise and refinement of my current skills.
    I'm open, guys, so just talk to me if you feel like it.
    So long, Ippo.

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @Ippo, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you going around here.

Participate and have fun!

3. Ippo

Ippo Member

Thanks for the welcome.
    I understand the concept of having to be a "useful member of society" before having certain privileges in the forum, however it does feel a bit awkward so far. As of now I'll just wait it out and post like I wouldn't have to (no forced posts) and hope that the community is worth it.
    Looks okay so far, I'm curious to see how things will turn out.
    Wish you a nice day,
    Ippo

4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi Ippo,

I have not been here that long myself so I can understand your feeling. But you have to remember that we (and I don't exclude myself) believe in reciprocity. These boards that are currently locked are not really necessary for one to post in, and being comfortable with the guys around is a reward all by itself. Speaking for myself, it would have been premature for me to post in them anyway as I needed (and maybe still do) time to read around :p. There is very, very good advice out there in various threads and you need time to assimilate it and let it infuse your writing. Just stay with it, get to know the various members, and be patient. All will come in due time :)

And above all, have a good time here!

5. Ippo

Ippo Member

Hey Lifeline, nice seeing you again!
    Necessary is quite the heavy word. Is it necessary for kids to have electronic gadgets?
    I don't intend on publishing anything on here just yet, it's just that certain areas like the 'insights & inspirations' board (along with several others if I am not mistaken) are completely off the map for me right now. For example: I feel like posting a songtext of mine but, oh, I can't. It feels like those poorly designed levels in video games, where, in order to keep you away from a place, the developer just put up an invisible barrier.
    I just fear that a community that has to give in order to receive will harbor very egoistic traits over time. I would love for people and especially writers to give and take equally out of their own free will. I don't have much respect for people who take and then leave and still respect themselves afterwards.
    As for the publishing part, I'll do that when I'm halfway ready. My work isn't nearly as polished as other people's stuff here.
    Hey I'm no downer, I'm looking forward to a very positive exchange between the community and me, too :p
    Had fun so far. Wish you a great day and lots of success with your WIP!