Tags:
  1. ocuble

ocuble New Member

Any police officers here?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ocuble, Apr 13, 2020.

Hey there,

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. I was wondering if I could message any police officers that might be here to ask some questions about accuracy for characters/settings. I do NOT want to write anything unfavourable or anti-police. Please message for more details. Take care all.

2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Not a police officer but this could be of interest.

https://thepoliceinsider.com

One of the moderators in here, Iain has written about working at a 911 dispatch center.

ocuble and Iain Aschendale like this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

One of the first questions which always gets asked on threads asking for this kind of information is ...where is your story being set? It matters a lot. Police procedure is different from US state to state, and certainly between the USA and every other country. Ditto any country in Europe, etc.

ocuble and Cdn Writer like this.
  4. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Yeah, I was a suburban US 911 dispatcher twenty-odd years ago, might be able to help.

ocuble and Cdn Writer like this.
  5. ocuble

ocuble New Member

Yes, completely agree with you about variation in location. I am writing about an assault and want to keep things as generic and unidentifiable as possible so it reads as "this could happen to me".
    I'm sure as a dispatcher you have many, many interesting stories and could be a ton of help! I want to write an interview scene so was hoping for someone who had bee in one before to let me know typical protocol. That you would offer to help means so much though!

Iain Aschendale likes this.