1. FirstTimeNovelist91

FirstTimeNovelist91 New Member

When do you start your editing process?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by FirstTimeNovelist91, Jul 3, 2012.

When do you start to edit and rewrite passages? Do you wait until after you have finished your first draft, or do you find yourself rewriting certain passages as you write your story?

I find myself edited certain parts of my story and inserting a couple of scenes, and I look back at a sentence and think "This could have been written better" and end up editing the paragraph/sentence right then and there.

What is your editing process like? When do you start?

2. amecylia

amecylia New Member

I think it depends on how "inspired" I feel. I usually find myself editing a little bit as I go along, or being too focused on writing to worry about re-reading the story or editing it. Then again, I have spent hours "writing" and editing one paragraph of my uni essay...

My editing process starts after I have finished the piece of writing. When I write short stories, I begin editing after finishing the first draft. I treat my novels like I do short stories--I edit as I finish a chapter.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I edit and revise as I write - a paragraph, a page, a chapter. No more than that. I have to have things "right" or I don't know how the rest of the story could go.

4. Boomstick10995

Boomstick10995 Member

I'm always editing. Before I write (editing the outline), while I'm writing, and far and well after I've finished writing. Sometimes I feel you can never have everything exactly as perfect as you want it. Because, for me at least, if I write something and finish it, I always wind up going back adding something or removing something trying to create a better flow and clarity. And, it doesn't matter how long I'm finished with it. I can pick up again within a week, or within a year and I'll still find myself editing it someway. Sometimes I find new inspiration or think of something that might make the story a million times better. For me, I just have to tell myself it's as good as it can be, even if it isn't sometimes, and put it down and move on, or else I'll never be done with it. There's no use in constantly butchering up something you wrote. That's what critics are for I guess. Sorry to rant there but it is a bit of a curse and a blessing for me, and somewhat bothersome.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

I finish the first draft first.

6. Michipanda

Michipanda Member

Me, personally, I edit with ever new chapter. By doing that I'm not only correcting errors missed, rephrasing or adding lines, scenes, or phrases, but ensuring that the next passage or segment of the story will flow smoothly with the previous. Some people may think that's a hassle, but I find that to be a working solution for me. It minimizes my grammar errors or any other little typo that comes along with typing in the wee hours of the night.

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

I edit a little as I go along unless I am more or less satisfied with the scenes. Usually I wrote about 5-10 pages and then re-read and edit, and then I move on. I only ever edit the newest pieces and only as much as I need to make it flow on to the next bit. If I think of something to add in a previous section, then it depends on whether the story is dependent on that event - if it's a side event or an event that doesn't really change the direction of the rest of the story, I leave it until I'm finished with the first draft. If it's a major event that will change significant aspects of the story, then I go back and write it.

All in all, it's not worth editing too much on your first go, because by the end of your first draft you'll have improved dramatically, meaning you'll likely rewrite absolutely everything anyway :rolleyes: And only when you have a first draft can you see what you're gonna need and where.

8. Annojo

Annojo New Member

If there's no inspiration for further creative work, why not spend an hour or so on editing? Mostly I get new ideas when editing a part, so it works both ways.

9. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Agreed :p Write what you can and edit a little bit there. then go back and read it again later, after a day, and decide if you need immediate edits or if it can wait for until the whole piece is done. if its a longer piece, definitely edit as you go :)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i have no formal plan... it's a continuous process... sometimes i edit as i write and sometimes just let it all flow and go over it later...