1. Nervous1st

Nervous1st New Member

Replying to reviews

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by Nervous1st, Mar 18, 2009.

Hi everyone,

Do you think that once you’ve left a review the opening poster should reply? I’ve seen many threads where the opening poster has thanked the member and addressed their comments after each reply, but I’ve also seen many where the opening poster has never even acknowledged the review.

I’m not looking for eternal thanks and praise. I genuinely enjoy reviewing and reading through other reviews but if no one leaves feedback on my comments, how am I meant to improve my critiquing skills?

Do you know what I mean? I have no idea if what I’m suggesting is even correct. There are many members here who are improving others writing skills but who is improving the reviewing skills?

Sorry, had to get that out.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Many reviews are of old pieces of writing by writers long gone. Others are dropped like little steaming piles by members who plunk down minimal reviews and then wander off. So you can't necessarily expect responses.

When I post something for critique, I usually will wait for a while instead of replying immediately to each critique as it comes in. I do generally respond to all substantive reviews, thanking each reviewer and indicating how I plan to use the critiques and why. I usually post the resultant revisions as well.

I don't generally dismiss critique comments out of hand. Sometimes, the critic misunderstands what I am going for, in which case my default assumption is that I wasn't clear enough. So my changes may be in a completely different direction from what is suggested,

But although I may explain why I decided to stay with my origianl vwerion for some suggestions, I won't turn it into a debate. As the writer, the final decision must always be mine. I wouldn;t have posted it if I weren't looking for suggestions.

3. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I feel that as long as you're thinking critically, and trying your best to give correct advice, you will begin to improve regardless of feedback. I used to mess up all the time when I first got here, and still do. Reviewing improved my writing tremendously; even though I didn't know the first thing about how to go about doing it.

Notice the "Reviewer" title under Cogito's user name? He, along with several others with that title, will be glad to answer any questions you have about improving. I know because I've been a unrelenting pain in the neck every since I got here. You know it's true, Dave. :D

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, you may find the link in my signature helpful.

Best wishes!

4. DavidGil

DavidGil New Member

Bottom line, it's polite to at least thank the reviewers. I've not done it once on here, but that's because I'd gone away for a while and came back to find I had comments a few weeks after I'd left.

I do agree with Cogito. It's always best to leave it a while before responding so that you're not continually bumping a thread.