1. ricecracker96

ricecracker96 New Member

I'm looking for a certain word, and haven't found any fitting words yet.

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by ricecracker96, May 29, 2012.

I'm looking for a verb to describe a noise that people make when they are dissappointed. It is made by pulling the tongue away from the back of the teeth and can also be made in a similar fashion with the side of the cheek. It is high pitched, sharp, but can also be dragged out to have an almost hissing noise. I wouldn't really say it's "tsk"ing or tutting.
    An example of when someone would do this is when they're playing basketball and happen to miss a shot that they usually make (say a free-throw).
    Please help me find the correct word for this action.

2. Brittany Krysten

Brittany Krysten New Member

Sometimes I refer to that long, drawn out version as "kissing your teeth" because that is what it sounds like to me. Not too sure if you could use it though.

3. ricecracker96

ricecracker96 New Member

Yeah, that definitely describes the sound; however, I'm rather hesitant to use that since I'm trying to convey the person's sense of disgust with what their friend did.

4. Brittany Krysten

Brittany Krysten New Member

"He kissed his teeth with a glare before turning away."

I don't know. Hope you find what you're looking for. :)

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The correct word is tsk, used as a noun or a verb. He tsked in annoyance after missing an easy free throw. The closest variant is tsk-tsk.

6. ricecracker96

ricecracker96 New Member

Hmmm, I think I can work with something like that. I'll play around with it. Thanks :D

7. ricecracker96

ricecracker96 New Member

Oh, so it actually is tsk; I didn't know that. Well, I guess I'll go with that then. Thanks Cogito! ^^

8. P R Crawford

P R Crawford New Member

Another possibility is "cluck":

cluck |klək|

noun
    1 the characteristic short, guttural sound made by a hen.
    • a similar sound made by a person to express annoyance: Loretta gave a cluck of impatience.
    2 informal a stupid or foolish person: a cluck too lazy to put up a clothesline.

verb(also cluck-cluck ) [ no obj. ]
    (of a hen) make a short, guttural sound.
    • (of a person) make such a sound with one's tongue to express concern or disapproval: the bystanders shook their heads and clucked sympathetically | [ with obj. ] : Michael clucked his tongue irritably.
    • [ no obj. ] (cluck over/at/about) express fussy concern about: they were cluck-clucking over the dishonor he brought to the office.

ORIGIN late 15th cent. (as a verb): imitative, corresponding to Danish klukke,Swedish klucka .

"tsk" is a recent coinage from the 1940's, with "tsk-tsk" first being recorded in the 60's.

So you might want to consider the context within which you're using the word. Medieval setting might better be served with "cluck" and so forth...