1. Fedora

Fedora Active Member

Hemingway

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Fedora, Nov 16, 2009.

I've been reading some of Ernest Hemingway's short stories lately, and I'm thoroughly impressed so far. He does so much in so few words; he's like a literary Space Bag. Not only does his work exude style and finesse, it's succinct to boot. I just finished "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," but I don't know where to go from here. Do you guys have any favorites?

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

My personal favourite is Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises. It changed the literary landscape in some pretty profound ways, and you can trace a lot of my favourite works of contemporary lit back to it. His mastery over language, style, and his instincts for realism are awe-inspiring.

3. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The Old Man and the Sea is one of the most perfectly written books I've read. I keep meaning to read more of his work.

4. Evil Flamingo

Evil Flamingo Banned Contributor

Has anybody here seen the "Old Man and the Sea" movie? It's a wonderful little piece done in the seventies I think, that's all done through frames that have been painted. It's a fairly extraordinary little work, in which the story is read while the movie is commencing. One of the best short films I've seen.

But anyways, yes I really enjoy Hemingway's works, besides the fact that I haven't been able to read a real large selection of his work. I highly enjoy his simple, yet powerful language style.

- Steve

5. Sam R. Geraghty

Sam R. Geraghty New Member

I would suggest Men Without Women, a collection of short stories, the best of which The Undefeated is the writing of a man obsessed with his passion - bullfighting.

As you mentioned Fedora, it's so succint. I love his work and he had a profound effect on me as a younger guy. I also think one of his best books, also about bullfighting, is the non-fiction work Death in the Afternoon.

6. arron89

arron89 Banned

Bullfighting is also a major part of The Sun Also Rises....obsession indeed....

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Both bullfighting and fly fishing were passions of his.

8. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

I am currently reading "The Old Man and the Sea" and I like it. I enjoyed "A Farewell to Arms" for the story, but to me, i find the short sentences and lack of tags on dialouge distracting. I dont know why, I read portions out loud and to other people, and I just found it so different from my own style. But I did love the story. The Old Man and the Sea reminds me of my own father so much, it's really great. I'm a fan, and I've noticed that while reading his work and writing my own story, that it is easy to pick up on his style. My husband read a recent chapter I wrote and said "Hold up woman, your doing that choppy stuff like Ernest." haha But that's just the way I take it, I'm sure others love it.