1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

which sounds best?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Cacian, Jan 31, 2012.

to the V in the

a) He took an arrow to the knee

or

b) He took an arrow in the knee

and is this believable?

a) they took an arrow to the knees?

2. Amphigory

Amphigory New Member

Ah, Skyrim. I will never hear the end of you, even if I've never played you. :p
    But b) sounds right to me. Unless he is literally giving a knee an arrow, or bringing an arrow to a place called "the knee", in which case a) works, I guess!

Unless multiple people are bringing an arrow to a place called "the knees", or giving them to some people called "the knees"? :p No, I don't think so. I can't image how more than one person can get hit in the knee by a single arrow. And if somehow they did, I think it would warrant a little more explanation than that one sentence!

3. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Hehe..this is a possibility if we agreed that on might take the knees which sounds like Denise (not denise denise by Blondie:p)
    it should work fine like this
    they took an arrow to Denise

I often come across sentences that I write in the first person using He or She then apply them to pronoun THEY to see if they work because it is a hobbie.
    I then check if it works with all pronouns to ensure sense and meaning is not lost for when used with all pronouns.
    and if it isn't then I do not write it.
    This is how I check for ideas in my stories that they all make sense regardless of which pronoun I am using.

like this

a) He fell to the ground on one knee

b) they fell to the ground on one knee

For the second one to happen it has to be staged because the possibility of it happeningand at the same time is simply impossible unless it is being acted.
    Hence my above post

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

they're both used and either one is grammatical and okay writing-wise...

not very, since it's practically a physical impossibility for a single arrow to pierce both knees, isn't it?

first of all, in re example a, though one can 'fall to one knee' i don't see how one can 'fall to the ground' and still be 'on one knee'... because when you fall to the ground, you would then be lying on the ground... see what i mean?...

and in re example b, i don't see staging being of any help, since more than one person cannot have the same single knee... ;)

5. Cacian

Cacian Banned

Oops of course I can see now..
    so
    He lowered himself to his knees?
    or
    He feel on his knees?
    like when a gentleman does when they are about to propose with a ring

6. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

The usual phrase is: "He went down on one knee" (to propose) and "He bent a knee" (to bend one leg while making a courtly bow)

1 person likes this.
  7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

He lowered himself to his knees?
    ...ok, but usually said/written as 'he dropped to his knees'...
    or
    He feel on his knees?
    would be 'fell' not 'feel' and would be grammatical, but more common would be 'fell to' rather than 'on' unless he actually fell down and landed on them...