1. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Like dark stuff?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Jonalexher, Jan 9, 2011.

[​IMG]

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Some dark, yet realistic, horror. I recommend it.

It's a compilation of three novellas and one short story, by the way.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Thanks - another really good horror story is "The Return" by Bentley Little. It's creepy the whole way through, unlike most horror novels, which only have a couple scary parts in the whole thing.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A bloody stool is dark, too, and I don't even watch it as it spirals out of sight.

Lately, when I read King, it;s to convince myself that maybe he can still write. Duma Key was okay, although it took at least twice as long to get there as it should have. Under the Dome was utter self-indulgent crap.

So I'm not in a huge rush to sample Full Dark, No Stars, unless I develop insomnia.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mallory

To be honest, I've never really found his work that great either. Cujo was pretty good, and I bought Dreamcatchers for $2 at a thrift store to give it a chance.

However, most of his stuff isn't that scary. It's marketed as horror, but there are only a few "scary parts." Most of his books are just character stuff.

5. Sabreur

Sabreur Contributor Contributor

At the combination pizza hut and taco bell
    I liked Desperation. The Regulators was stupid though. King isn't a favorite of mine.

6. Mallory

Good, I also bought Desperation for $2 at the same thrift store where I bought Dreamcatchers. lol. they looked good on the back covers, and some of his work is okay if he's got a good, non-corny plot premise. How good is Desperation? (I haven't read either; am still on Rand's "The Fountainhead) Does it keep up the horror throughout?

7. Jonalexher

Jonalexher New Member

Anybody read The Stand? I have the complete extended version on paperback waiting for me in my bookshelf. Still reading some other stuff, so it'll have to wait. Anybody ever get the chance to read it? Is it good? I hear it's one of his best.

Cogito, I was actually interested in Under the Dome, what was so bad about it? without any spoilers please :)

8. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I have read The Stand, but not the Extended version. Personally I really enjoyed the book. Of course it can be a bit slow at points but you get a real sense of who the characters are and there are some really great scenes. Its definitely worth giving a shot in my opinion.

As for Under the Dome. I personally enjoyed the book and the concept. Again the characters feel real and there are some great moments. But it might not be for everyone. Again I'd give it a shot, but of course this is coming from a guy who tends to enjoy most of Stephen King's books so I might be a bit biased.