1. dillseed

dillseed Active Member

Pronouns

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by dillseed, May 18, 2014.

Are these correct?

He and Bob hate each other.

You and they should try to get along.

The winners of the tournament were Morgan and I.
    (This one could go either way: Morgan and I were the winners of the tournament [Morgan was the winner; I was the winner]. But: The winner was Morgan; the winner was me. Which, technically, is correct?)

I think the trick for the following is to eliminate the nouns 'women' and 'men' to determine whether 'us' or 'we' is correct.

That decision will affect us women.

That decision will affect us
    (women).

We men will stand up for our rights!

We (men) will stand up for our rights!

Thank you. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you need to accept the fact that it's better to 'recast' a sentence than to force it meet a grammar textbook's demands, when it reads awkwardly/badly that way...

the first sentence should have both names, to read well, though 'he' is correct...

the second is abysmal... should be 'you should all try to get along'

re the third:
    I was the winner
    the winner was me
    Morgan and I won the tournament

jannert likes this.
  3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yes, I'm with @mammamaia here. There is no point in clinging to a grammatically-correct sentence if it's awkward and falls badly on the ear and eye. Grammar is one portion of 'writing' but so is word choice, sound and readability. They're all important to consider. Me? I'd look for a way to rewrite these sentences so they are less textbooky and more like real life.

4. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

Agreed with the feedback. Rephrasing is awkwardness's best medicine. But, in the future, if ever in doubt, make the compound noun into a regular one: remove the extra words.

"He and Bob hate each other" becomes "He hates each other." (Yeah, doesn't make sense, but bear with me a moment.) In a case like "You and she made the decision," condense it to "She made the decision." Okay, sounds good. You know you're using the right form of the word, so everything's good grammatically. Reinsert the words you took out.

It's all about subject and object forms. Is the compound noun the subject of the sentence? Use "I," "he," "she," "they," etc. Is it an object? Use "me," "him," "her," "them," etc. You can't, for instance, use "he" as an object. It turns into "him." Simple as that. If the sentence sounds like Cookie Monster or Grimlock is speaking, then you know you have the wrong word form in there somewhere. Just bear in mind: it's not always "you and I." ;)

5. dillseed

dillseed Active Member

TY