1. alanzie

alanzie Member

Testing Positive and Writing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by alanzie, Jan 1, 2022.

I keep my laptop on. It sits on a desk in our bedroom. Nice setup. I keep it on because once in a while, I go back to my story. It's a long one and I should give it more attention than I do, because its also a very good one. Otherwise, I wouldn't be writing it. Side note: I doubt myself. . .a lot.

I had a mentor who suggested I get up an hour earlier every day, just for my story. I enjoy the rest of my life too much to go to bed early, and at 64, I need all the sleep I can get. Once in a while, on a Friday or Saturday, I'll write 'till 2am. Sometimes with a glass of bourbon. Sometimes with a joint. Sometimes with them both :)

I know I'm not taking my writing seriously. I mean I am, but what's the hurry.

I got COVID either Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning. I found out because I was supposed to have some bones removed from my wrist (I'm 64, remember) on the 29th. By that time, I already knew I was exposed, so when the hospital greeting young lady asked me if I had a fever or headache, I said no. But when she asked me if I had been with someone who tested positive and I said yes, her smile disappeared and she literally stepped back, calling for help. Help got me tested. Testing showed me positive.

We are isolated. She has the upstairs, I have the downstairs. It's okay, though. its not a basement, its a "lower-level". I watched TV the first day. 'B' horror movies, one after another until I got bored and fell asleep.

Day two, I fired up my laptop, clicked the 'finally new' icon of Scrivner (3.0 for Windows finally came out, years late), and have been writing since. Maybe COVID has given me an opportunity over the next ten days to prove myself right and take this crazy idea of writing my novel a little bit more seriously than I have been.

Anybody else have a COVID/WRITING (I was going to make writing lower case, then realize it needed equal billing) thing that affected them, either positively or negatively? Did COVID screw it up for you or vice versa?

alzie

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    B.E. Nugent likes this.
  2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Sorry we don't change names once you are no longer a new member

3. alanzie

alanzie Member

Thanks for letting me know, BSM.

4. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

I haven't had COVID (at least, not yet -- and I hope to keep it that way), but I spent 2020 severely and very strictly self-isolated because, as a senior citizen with multiple risk factors, I was certain that if I caught it I would die. 2021 wasn't much better for the first six months.

I used that time to write and self publish three books (one fiction, two non-fiction). A fourth book (also non-fiction) is finished and ready to publish -- I'm just waiting for the LCCN from the Library of Congress.

5. AntPoems

AntPoems Contributor Contributor

I had COVID in September (probably Delta, as that variant was really surging then), but a pretty mild case; mostly I was just tired for a few days. That did hamper my writing (it's hard to accomplish much of anything when you're napping every two hours) but it passed quickly enough. My bigger problem was obsessing over some personal issues that I couldn't really deal with during quarantine. Hopefully you're less neurotic than me. :rofl:

Good luck to you! And even if you don't get much work done, don't worry about it. Remember that your first priority is to heal. Writing can come later if necessary.

6. alanzie

alanzie Member

I had the same fears. Type 2 diabetic and allergy induced asthma are my risk factors, but I've so far been very fortunate as the virus progresses somewhat harmlessly through my system.

7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I had covid a year ago, as did my husband. He was more intensely ill (hospital for several days) but I was sick longer. Interesting experience, but I reckon once was enough. I don't recall how much I wrote or didn't write while I was ill, but while the community was shut down the previous spring, I was remarkably productive.

8. alanzie

alanzie Member

Oddly enough, so far, writing is my healing balm.