1. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

Books that my views have changed on

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by G. Anderson, Apr 16, 2017.

Dear All,

I hope you are all well.

I was going through the book recommendations on here and the famous books that we've never understood the appeal of thread, and I thought about a question:

Is there any book or book series which you have once loved/liked but now hate/dislike, or vice versa?

I don't think there is a thread like this one here but apologies if there already is one! I just thought it would be interesting to hear your stories, since I always re-read my books and never take the same away from them.

I'll go first:
    • Harry Potter 1-7: I did not get this series when I first tried reading them (aged eleven) and declared almost outright hate for it (I didn't hate them. I have never yet felt hatred, lucky me). Then I tried reading them again at fifteen years old, and ten years later, I am a really, really big fan
    • David Copperfield: I always loved Charles Dickens' stories though some of his books have been a bit of a drag to get through. The first time I read David Copperfield, I could not get either into it nor through it. But re-reading it a few years later, I read it almost in one go (it was a holiday) and loved it.

Best,
    G.

zoupskim likes this.
  2. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

Most of the SF I read as a kid and young adult I enjoyed. Nowadays, it all seems more like trashy space opera than it does real literature.

Jane Austen's "masterpieces", I've never stopped hating those.

3. G. Anderson

G. Anderson Active Member

Haha, I've never read much Sci-Fi :) Is it bad that the description 'trashy space opera' makes me want to?

Personally, I love Jane Austen's novels...except Sense and Sensibility, which I just found okay...but then again, I've only read that one once.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I have found some YA that is not too shabby.
    But I was reading normal adult books since
    I started reading. YA was not something I
    grew up with. So as an adult YA is like a
    nice light reading every once in a while.
    Still not a big fan of Fantasy.
    Blame Peirs Anthony for that.:p

G. Anderson likes this.