1. JackLUFC

JackLUFC Member

New York police and crime - Research question

Discussion in 'Research' started by JackLUFC, Mar 24, 2012.

Hey,
    I'm planning a detective series about a young detective in New York. Clichéd, I know. :p

Anyway, I'm only 15 and am unsure as to how the police detective department in New York works. I'm based in England, and it's a bit different over here, as far as I'm aware.

My questions (thanks for any help you can give):

1. What rank would a detective's senior be? Would he just be a Chief of Department?
    2. Does a detective have to be assigned to a specific borough or can he just be a detective for the whole city?
    3. Does a detective have to be assigned to a specific type of crime e.g. arson, murder, robbery or can he be assigned to a whole range
    4. Would a detective be based at One Police Plaza (the NYPD headquarters)?

That should suffice for now. Cheers for any help and advice you can give.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

your best source of all such info is google... start with the nypd's own website and then google for any specific info you can't find there...

i've lived in nyc, was born and raised in the suburbs, so feel free to email me for any other info... but be sure to check with your mom before emailing a perfect stranger...

love and hugs, maia [mom of 7, grandmother of 19 at last count]
    maia3maia@hotmail.com