3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Either/both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

Processed vs. Processioned

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Robert Musil, Jun 6, 2018.

Which one would you use to mean "some monks in a line moving solemnly"?

I've been using "processed" this whole time but maybe that's confusing? Since it has other meanings.

Really appreciate the help as there are, well, rather a lot of monks in my WIP.

2. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I'd use processioned, just because it connotes solemnity in its most popular usage. But that doesn't mean processed is wrong.

I guess, for me, it comes down to whichever is most likely to get my intended meaning across to the reader.

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I agree. Over the years, "processed" has come to mean something completely different from marching in a procession. It's now taken to mean being subjected to some sort of process, like cooking or mincing or whatever. (Think of Spam as "processed meat.") So the use of the word in its original context will present a stumbling block for the modern reader.

It's a sign of your insight as a writer that you thought to ask the question. Good on you for that.

Alan Aspie likes this.