1. The_Writer

The_Writer New Member

Question on epic poetry

Discussion in 'The Craft of Writing Poetry' started by The_Writer, Dec 13, 2012.

Is it possible to write from the main characters point of view to another characters point of view in first person?

2. -oz

-oz Active Member

Your question is confusing... What I understand you to ask is, "Can you switch between two different characters while writing in a first person perspective?" My answer is yes; it's easy to do that between chapters, and I've seen skilled authors switch POVs using a conversation.

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

It could be done, but you would have to add some kind of third person interchange to do so.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't see why 'third person interchange' would be necessary, lew [or is it 'lewd'? ;) ]...

an epic poem would have sections, or chapters that can have headings, so the switch can be easily handled that way...

5. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Well without some kind of interchange, the reader might become confused and still think that the original person is still talking in first person. Sometimes in life I enjoy talking in first person. People start to think I am a more important person than I really am. When I then start talking in 4th person about the 6th dimension while flick a light open and shut, they call for the mall cops. I guess I shouldn't do that outside the Christian bookstore.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

why would interchange be needed, when the section/chapter is headed with a different character's name?... and the op is asking about different characters' povs [e.g. dave, mary, chuck], not different 'person' povs [e.g. first, third]...

why would they, when people usually speak in first person... and if you do so only 'sometimes' how do you usually talk to people?

what do you consider the '4th' person and the '6th' dimension?