1. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

Invisible people

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by crimsonrose, Mar 31, 2009.

In my novel I'm working on, I have a spell placed over the servants of the MC's castle, so that the MC's prisoner, Celine, cannot see them, but rather what they are doing. For instance, I have several scenes where she must adjust to not seeing them coming, but gets freaked out when they brush her hair, serve her food, ect., cuz she can see the brush floating up and down and such.

I'm unsure of how to describe the contents of the spell, exactly. For instance, why would Celine be able to see them ladelling her porridge into her plate during breakfast, but she cannot see their clothing?

I'm wondering how the spell could have been worded, so that the things the servants touch are visible, but their clothing is not.

Any ideas?

2. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

I would wonder first, why the need for them to be invisible. If i was to make a suggestion, i might think that instead of invisible, have their facial features masked in a blur or perhaps with no features(mouth/eyes/ears) so she can get no responses from them or none to her. That could be a spell, shuffling featureless faces would instill the fear, allow the movement and them to be seen without the trouble of explaining the 'floating spoon'

just a thought feel free to ignore

3. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

I won't ignore you, silly, but I'm afraid I can';t use that. I've already almsot finished the entire story with them invisible, and their invisibility is substantial to the plot.

My main female character, Celine's, current lover, when he first saw her as a little girl, struck a deal with a witch to make his servants invisible to all eyes but his own, that they may always watch over. Later, when he kidnapped her in his castle, the lack of seeing the humans around her serves as an important plot point, adding to the emotional struggle of being there.

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

You could make it so that the only thing that were rendered invisible was whatever she had on herself at the time of the spell. Everything else would just be perfectly visible when she touches it. Just my 2c.

5. crimsonrose

crimsonrose New Member

I was thinking I could have the spell be that the servants were made invisible, but their actions were not. For example, it is possible to see the broom while they sweep, but you cannot see their clothing becausw wearing clothing is more of a state of being than an action

6. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

hard to say then, unless you give a hint of disturbance in the air around them.

blurred forms, not substainable to direct focus.