1. Axicia

Axicia New Member

Creating a Comedic Chessmaster type Character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Axicia, Dec 1, 2016.

Hello, everyone in the WF~

I would like some tips and tricks to write a character that seems to know what is going on and uses the information to his/her advantage, but instead of many rigid plans and "cool/magnificent" aura associated with this archetype, I want the character to be more trickster-like, with plans that seem to teeter in the edge of failure but actually working, and the character should be capable of simplifying and modifying the plans on the fly, a trickster-chessmaster. He/she should look goofy and harmless on the outside, as well.

I attempted to create several plans to emulate this kind of character, but it is pretty much an endless planning as there are too much variables I might use.

Any good references or guides, anyone?

2. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    I'm not a comic book fan, so all I know about is what I saw in the movie, but could you perhaps look to Deadpool for some inspiration? Sounds somewhat similar to what you're describing.

Axicia and Simpson17866 like this.
  3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Hello + Welcome,
    Is this to be set in the real world?

If so, I see why you'd be struggling; the vagaries of the world and people's behaviour are v. hard to predict beyond a few steps. I could only imagine it's plausible if you were to set up either of two scenarios:

Your character's a savant of sorts with an uncanny ability to calculate outcomes.

or

You character has allies, partners in the deceit, and a good supply of cash. < Much akin to the way 'big budget' pranks are set up.

For both the above the 'goofy' effect I figure it wouldn't be difficult to have your smart person act the fool (near impossible the other way round (experience)).

If the setting is a fantasy realm, well you can just give your character 'abilities'.

Axicia likes this.
  4. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

The type of character you want isn't a 'chess master', those guys have every detailed planned out tons of steps in advance, and are really quite boring. What you want is a controller of chaos, someone who sees a possibility in the moment, adapts to it, and uses it as if it were exactly what had been planned. They need to be excited when something new happens, something they can use, not ominously nodding 'yes, yes... just as planned'

For inspiration, watch the joker in The Dark Knight.

Axicia and Iain Aschendale like this.
  5. Axicia

Axicia New Member

Yeah, it is to be set in 'mostly' real world, where the characters each have slight abilities. I was thinking of making him able to "see" the potential outcomes of a certain scenario and the chances of it to happen, like...

60% chance of the protagonists sparing the villain, 30% chance of killing the villain and 10% chance of the villain escaping.

Also, thank you for the warm welcome and references! I'll make sure to check it out