1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Random Sharp Pain in Left Ring and Pinky Finger!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by aimi_aiko, Jun 5, 2011.

I'm not sure of why my fingers are experiencing such sharp pains right now, but I've been all over the net to find answers, and I've found none.

What exactly is going on is that I happened to be laying on my bed and (this was about 2 - 3 hours ago) and my left ring finger and pinky finger randomly began to ache. I would describe the pain to be more of a extremely sharp pain (ex. the feeling of a thick needle being inside your skin for quite a while...kind of like an IV soreness - for those of you who knows what IV's feel like) The pain feels like it is within my bones or joints. I have not done anything to them in order to cause this pain. I just happened to be laying down and it appeared suddenly.

I researched the symptoms of Carpal Tunnel, but I really didn't find anything about sharp pains in your fingers.

Update: My fingers JUST NOW began feeling warm, still along with the pain.

I know that carpal tunnel will appear in those people who are always use a personal computer (ex. for writing, etc.) and I do this quite a lot (surfing the net, blogging, writing stories, etc.)

I wasn't sure where else to turn, I just wanted to know if it is possible that using my computer quite often my have caused this, or I may IN FACT have carpal tunnel?

If anyone else has had similar experiences, please share them with me. If anyone has any suggestions of how to fix this, I'd greatly appreciate your information.

Thanks.

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Maybe it's arthritis?

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I have similar pain sometimes, and sometimes my fingers start to throb out of the blue...I have no idea what's wrong with me, though. I just chalk it up to my body hating me. It does things like this fairly often.

Hope your fingers are feeling better! :/

4. Venusian31

Venusian31 New Member

Do you frequently rest your elbow on the table when on the computer or do you do other activities that cause you to rest on your elbow quite a lot? Do you keep your arm bent a lot of the time or sleep with it bent? If so, you could be suffering from Cubital Tunnel syndrome, which is similar to Carpal Tunnel but involves the nerve in the elbow that is often referred to as the funny bone. When this nerve becomes pinched or irritated, it causes pain and/or numbness in the pinky and ring finger just like you describe.

I used to have a bad habit of resting my elbows on the desk when working on my computer or sitting at a table. I started feeling that achy pain in my pinky and ring finger and had no idea what was going on. It got progressively worse until those fingers and the outside edge of my hand and arm went completely numb. I was diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel syndrome and it took months of wearing a brace to keep my arm straight before I finally got the feeling back. Fortunately it went away and there was no permanent damage, but I have to constantly remind myself not to rest on my elbows to keep it from happening again.

5. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Hmm I get this sometimes to, especially after long hours at the computer. I basically have to take a break then because it feels like my finger may snap of at any moment. Guess theres always a downside to doing something you love...

6. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

I have a similar problem except it is in my right arm, and along the right side of the elbow down to the ring and pinky finger. It is not a sharp pain, but a radiating heat and soreness feeling. It has gotten worse since my bicycle accident, but my physical therapists believe it could be an impingement or aggravation of the ulnar nerve in the cubital tunnel or perhaps in the wrist. I'm doing the wait and see to determine whether it could subside on its own or I need to see an orthopedist. For now, I maintain the arm straight and I do not rest on it when possible.

Before the current symptoms, both ring fingers and pinkies went numb when I slept on my back with my arms at my sides, so like yourself, it is very likely some aggravation is happening at the elbow with the Ulnar nerve. Suck things can happen from trauma or a building of a bone spur, or a congenital condition that manifests later in life, such as nerve laxity.

7. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Update: My fingers are feeling a lot better. They stopped hurting while I was asleep. But they did hurt for several hours last night.

To answer the question from Venusian...yes, I do rest my elbow quite a lot when doing just about anything.

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone. I'll be sure to be more careful next time.

1 person likes this.
  8. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

Seriously I think this is quite common for people on the pc alot. It's probably just because we're constantly straining our fingers. Same thing happens to me when I have that issue. One night of sleep and its gone.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i had carpal tunnel syndrome and yes, it can produce pain in fingers...

anyone who spends much time typing or writing can avoid and alleviate such probs by simply stopping and shaking out and exercising the arms/hands/fingers every now and then... takes only a minute or less to do...

10. Shade Wolf

Shade Wolf New Member

Ohhh...Sorry. I feel random pains in my toes, fingers, etc. But I never think anything about it. Hope you feel better. *hugs*

11. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

My dad has carpal tunnel, and he gets pains in his palm, not fingers, but it's different for everyone.

12. HermanC1

HermanC1 New Member

I'm also curious, I'm experiencing this(what feels like) between my left pinky and ring finger. I play guitar and type a lot at work. Could this be long term or temporary?

13. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I get this too, because I rest my elbow on my desk at work. It's a numbness rather than a pain.

I do get random sharp pains in one of my index fingers, which sounds a lot like aimi describes. The joint clicks, so I have wondered if it's arthritis, but arthritis pain is usually described more as a dull ache.